Roadside tool kit? What should I have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roadside tool kit? What should I have?

g8r

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am going on a long trip and was wondering what I should keep incase the 95 X breaks down. I already have AAA but was wondering should I bother bringing a spare fan belt, etc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well first off you know the 95-97 X is the only X consumer reports rates as reliable right? because of this I'd say if you make sure thigs are really good before you go you should be set... I drive 540 miles one way to school and so far have made 8 trips without any real repairs... just usual fluid changes... I got a 96 4 door AWD V8

I always carry an emergency kit even though I never take long trips. I always carry:

1 Gallon of Coolant
Extra quart of oil
Extra oil filter
3 Quarts of ATF
1 Quart Type F ATF (Power Steering)
Funnel
1 PCV Valve
Portable Jump-Starter
2 Ton Jack
1 Flat and one Philips Screwdriver
Chilton's manual
Flashlight
1 Gallon of Water
400 Watt Power Inverter
Air Compressor

Yes it seems like a lot, and yes it does take up most of the space in the back of the X, but since I don't usually carry much besides my backpack and myself, why not be safe than sorry?

The one thing I would add to these kits is a wrench that is sized for the pully tensioner(sp). Friend had a belt go out but could not put a new one on because he could not move the pulley with his hands.

its not everything that i would like but i carry
flashlight
cheap socket set with ratchet
screwdrivers
wirecutters
volt meter
jumper cables

The wrench for the tensioner is a good idea. Though if a belt throws without breaking there is something else wrong. You can fight a tensioner by hand but it isnt easy

My Kit

Well, I just bought a new vehicle, so I don't worry too much about bringing anything but the ultra basics (free roadside assistance is nice), but in my old car I always had this with me:

Note: most of the stuff I carry was both Metric and Imperial (the car was an 86 Jeep Cherokee and was a "lovely" mix of the two). Check your car and see if you need both.

My kit (off the top of my head);
- socket sets (Metric + Imperial)
- socket extensions (important!)
- end wrench sets (M + I)
- monkey wrenches (L,M,S) - important when you need mults of the same size!
- screwdrivers (S,M,L) Phillips and flathead
- plyers
- needle nose plyers
- duct tape
- electrical tape
- metal wire (not electrical) - great if you loose a hose clamp, or tape won't work for something else
- electrical wire (various gauges)
- wire cutters
- metal files
- battery terminal cleaner
- oil filter wrench
- spare belts
- spare oil filter
- spare oil (~1-2 quarts)
- spare power steering fluid (~1 pint)
- spare coolant/water (gallon at least)
- funnel
- emergency air compressor
- jumper cables (even with manual)
- flashlight (and fresh batteries!)
- Repair manual (chilton's, et al.)

YMMV, but I think it's important to have most of the stuff above (even the stuff like socket extensions: there's nothing worse than not being able to get your tool to the problem area!). Except for the fluids, you can (with creative packing) get most of the above into a small toolbox (~1.5 cu ft.)

Another tip: never assume you have the right part (i.e. belts). Always verify you have the right part. A friend of mine had the wrong spare belt once (stupid autozone) and that turned a five minute roadside repair into a $200+ towing fee.

And always before a trip, the most important thing to do is check and top off all fluids, change the oil (if necessary or near necessary), lub the chassis, check the tires (the spare too!) and brakes.

MilesTeg

Back