Rocker panels rusted through, want running boards to cover. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rocker panels rusted through, want running boards to cover.

goodnu2001

Reaction score
City, State
Sharon Ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddy B. Explorer
My 92 Eddy B. has rotted through rocker panels, and no running boards.
Option being considered for a quick, cheap reasonable fix. Apply a bondo patch and buy some running boards to cover both front and rear rotted areas (since wife complains about the height to enter). OR I'm open to other suggestions.

Where can I get running boards that will cover the rotted areas at a reasonable cost?

I've see the stock running boards on other Explorers but haven't been able to find after market source.

Please advise, Thanks

Good N-U

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly thats not going to solve the problem. Seems to me it would make it worse. Putting bondo on and then covering up the area with some running boards will only hold more water in. Which will make more rust in the end.

If you plan on keeping the truck i would suggest getting it professionaly fixed. I have the same problem right in the rear passanger doors. The guys at my auto body shop are saying $500 for a real deal fix. They have some part called a "dogleg" that they are going to replace the rotten part with. Cut them out and then weld them in and paint it. That is in NH so you should be able to get a similar price in Mass.

No offense but running boards suck. I had some on my X when i bought it and i took them off the same night in the dark when i got home i thought they looked so bad. They also decrease ground clearence in some cases. Also, you will only be prolonging the problem. Eventually the rust will spread and look like crap. My advice: Get it fixed right. It will be worth it in the long run.

What about spray-on bedliner? A few guys have done it here and I am about to have it done next week. Just a thought.

The reason my explorer has rust is beacause the idots who put the running boards on did not bother to prime or seal the hole that the self tapping screws made.
When it comes time to paint my baby i will get rhino liner or herculiner and get the whole truck coverd from the rockers down.

Back