Rocker Panels Rusted 2000 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rocker Panels Rusted 2000 Explorer XLT

Rehabdr

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Anyone no what the average cost to replace Rocker Panels on both sides of Explorer XLT that haver rusted out and have it repainted the original forrest Green color?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone no what the average cost to replace Rocker Panels on both sides of Explorer XLT that haver rusted out and have it repainted the original forrest Green color?

The panels will run you anywhere from $150-$300 for the pair, depending on where you source them from, and if they are cut-out style or slip over. Welding is easy, cheap if you know someone. A little sanding, filling, and more sanding, then primer, all which you can do in the comfort of your own garage.

Paint will cost more...as you'll never get paint to match 12 year old paint.

A body shop will probably charge $2500.

Not perfectly, but for rockers that have plastic caps or running boards on them, a can of mixed paint from a paint supplier would be more than adequate as you'll only see a fraction of the painted surfaces.

When I get mine done next spring, I'm just going to spray bed liner over POR15, then put the running boards back on. Being that the section is covered, as stated above, perfect match isn't needed, unless you're building a show vehicle.

Just so you know, if you don't use the POR-15 Tie Coat primer, or scuff with 320 before spraying or brushing the bedliner, it will not stick. :)

Back