Rocky Mountain Ranger '92 SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rocky Mountain Ranger '92 SAS

Bought this 1992 Ranger a while back, it is in great mechanical shape and was owned by some old lady most of its life. After deciding it was too clean to cut up for a 4.0 swap,
I recently decided it would make a great DD/wheeler/hunting and exploration rig. The 20 year old suspension is sagged out, the shocks are on their last leg and the 31" BFG ATs rub up front on bigger bumps. Time for a build up and some major improvements. I have been scavenging pull & pay and e-bay for parts for a while now, have a lot left over from other projects and will borrow a few things from the '91 as I go.

Specs:
4.0, m50d, 1354E, standard cab long-box
downsized_0407111445.jpg

downsized_0407111545.jpg
downsized_0407111446.jpg

Plans:
Front Axle:
’96 XJ high pinion Dana 30 SAS w/ 4.56 gears, Detroit Truetrac, for which I will fab a truss, inner-C gussets, HD lower control arm mounts and skids.Ill be doing a WJ knuckle swap for bigger brakes and improved steering with over the knuckle cross-over steering and one-ton TREs, custom longarms, etc.

Rear Axle:
’93 Ford Explorer 31 spline 8.8 with disc conversion, 4” skyjacker ranger leafsprings, belltech shackles

Saginaw HD T-Bird ps pump swap w/ cooler and Hydro Assist
D.D. machine doubler
Flatbelly skid
Shortened frame and bobbed bed for improved departure angle.
BII gas tank
½ doors
Some interior mods
Rock sliders and bumpers, winch up front
interior cage

It had suffered some hail damage before I picked it up. I will live with the dents, but the windshield needs replaced sometime in the near future. I am not a fan of the faded red and white two-tone paint so that had to go.
I ditched the topper, and trim, did a little prep work and painted it flat khaki.
008-5.jpg

009-4.jpg

Wanted tinted windows so I grabbed the doors off the '91. Got rid of the stock decal with the flapwheel and sanded the rest.

013-3.jpg

014-4.jpg

015-3.jpg

015-2.jpg

Took it camping up off Boreas Pass near Breckenridge this last weekend. Our campsite was tucked off the road near 10,500ft in White River National Forest. Found a lot of traces of Elk and blackbear. It rained off and on while we were there and the burn bans were finally lifted so we could have a campfire.
downsized_0729121006.jpg
downsized_0729121019.jpg

Installed a cheap cd player, cb, tuffy lockable console box.
I also swapped the rails out on some waterproof seats and bolted them in.
013-2.jpg

014-3.jpg

012-2.jpg

I started with some work on my old 8.8
It is a '93 Explorer 31 spline drum brake 8.8 It has been regeared 4.56 with a new carrier (Detroit Truetrac) which is a solid body design with the helical gear limited slip internals hidden. This makes a small difference in how the shafts are removed/installed.
There is an access port on one side of the truetrac carrier held in by a snap-ring
1021082356.jpg

008-4.jpg

remove the snap ring and access port cover I then the ~1" slug that holds the shafts in place. Push the axle shafts further into the differential and remove the c-clips. The drivers side shaft came out easily and I was able to remove the c-clip with needle nose, but I had to clamp the passenger side shaft from the flange to the backing plate to push it further into the diff so the c-clip would clear the carrier body, I used two strong magnets to pull the c-clip and finally removed the shaft.
007-3.jpg

I wanted disk brakes, I had problems with my old drum setup locking up in wet conditions and the newer explorer disk brakes bolt right onto the '93 housing.
So with the drum off and the c-clips axle shafts out I pulled the old drum backing plates off.
001-17.jpg

002-15.jpg

Remove the brake hard line and four bolts at the end of the housing and the drum setup comes right off.
003-13.jpg

001-18.jpg

006-8.jpg

I pulled the old axle shaft/bearing seals and regreased the bearings.
005-10.jpg

Installed new seals.
006-9.jpg

I made a trip to the pull and pay and picked up disk brake backing plates, caliper brackets, calipers, e-brake cables and a spare set of 8.8 shafts from a '98 Ford Explorer.
junkyardpic.jpg

007-6.jpg

Bolted on with stock hardware:icon_bounceblue:
008-7.jpg

I pulled the old e-brake shoes off, since they came from a junkyard axle they were cracked and in real bad shape. First remove the retaining spring clips, then the adjuster spring and threaded adjuster(tensioner), then the large outside spring and I pulled the shoes and inside spring off as one unit.
001-19.jpg

004-13.jpg

002-17.jpg

To assemble, attach large inside spring to shoes and seat the shoes onto the backing plate tab
005-11.jpg

put the threaded adjuster back in
006-10.jpg

and now re-attach adjuster spring, large outside spring and finally retaining spring clips
007-7.jpg

insert shafts and c clips
008-8.jpg

...and fit new disk rotor. If I had known this swap were so easy I would have done it a long time ago. Ill post up a pic of attaching the cables when the axle is under the truck.
012-3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

006-13_zps63559dd1.jpg

couldn't use the offset TREs because they rubbed the rims so I shaved the diff cover and used standard one ton chevy TREs
103_zpsc88794f0.jpg

mounted the ram to drivers side coil bucket, the track bar to the pass side and boxed them in
104-1_zps5051cd39.jpg

had a local place resize my driveshafts
056-1_zps6be85ca5.jpg

Trailgear 6" ram had plenty of throw for the D30
061-2_zps3f460ec5.jpg

062-2_zpsf6896597.jpg

077-2_zps5f977f29.jpg

088-1_zps508ce0f5.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2-3_zps946211f3.jpg

3-2_zpsf19f997f.jpg

4-1_zpsedece90e.jpg

I think I'm just gonna start saving some money and make you a deal on one of your builds! Quality builds every time. How much would this Khaki colored ranger go for "if" you were going to sell it?

I think I'm just gonna start saving some money and make you a deal on one of your builds! Quality builds every time. How much would this Khaki colored ranger go for "if" you were going to sell it?

No idea what I would ask for it, that would take adding up everything I've spent on it...........not sure I want to do that.

Got the crossmember modified, and the front shaft in today. Also fixed the jumpy speedometer issue and pushed the front axle forward 1.5"
008-10_zpsc1757d67.jpg

009-9_zps53ac6ea3.jpg

002-21_zps75aa0f77.jpg
[/URL

014-6_zps5b659a74.jpg

017-1_zps29601b0f.jpg

018_zps98b5a3ab.jpg

001-26_zps981ed64a.jpg

002-21_zpsf2bc00e6.jpg

003-16_zpsdbce67d4.jpg

.........all I can say.........is..........WOW!!!!

WOW.....!!!!

:salute:

..Nice to see a Ranger build going on...:biggthump

..That rear bumper is something like what I have in mind for the Ranger..

I really liked wheeling my 86 ranger long bed once I bobbed it 14.5". Your truck is looking really good. Add some rocker guards before you damaged them though.

Thanks guys, I like the way it is coming together.

Tbars4, I wanted a simple design that didn't hurt my departure angle and would protect the bed sides. I am happy with the way it came out.

RockRanger, always liked your truck, without the bed bob the long bed Rangers will drag everywhere on the trail. The bed now has the dimensions of a short box, I think I took out ~11.5" from the bed and ~22" of frame rail. I would have cut more out but I wanted to fit the tonneau cover.

I picked up a several sticks of tube yesterday too, saw this old (50's?) F-100 there so I snapped a shot.

e17cd8f6-ddb0-444d-9f59-22db262d14f8_zps1e1aae58.jpg

On the long bed was there enough room to get the doubler in without moving the gas tank? When I put a BII tank behind the rear axle in my 93 it made down hill drops a breeze compared to the wheel liftng horror they were with a lack of weight on the rear axle. Not sure it will fit with the bobbed bed though.

On the long bed was there enough room to get the doubler in without moving the gas tank? When I put a BII tank behind the rear axle in my 93 it made down hill drops a breeze compared to the wheel liftng horror they were with a lack of weight on the rear axle. Not sure it will fit with the bobbed bed though.

It was close, I had more room than in my 91 extended cab, but in the end I had to move the gas tank into the bed to fit the dual cases under the truck. I also have a BII tank that will fit in the rear of the truck, but I would have to reroute the exhaust, change my rear shocks mounting location, and recess the tank up into the rear of the bed or it would hang way too low. Im going to look for a smaller tank or cell that will fit but still has a good fuel capacity. It would be nice to get the weight down lower and into the back of the truck.

11_zps6f924785.jpg

076_zps1c233ffd.jpg

067_zpsf63fd2ef.jpg

060_zpsc187e91e.jpg

042_zpse2366d5d.jpg

034_zps69454a39.jpg

@crawlin91 - How did the Akebono Calipers perform? Did you change the master cylinder?

Not sure if @crawlin91 is still active - can anyone chime in?

Back