Roll Pan | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roll Pan

The bad part about modifying already cured fiberglass is that is shrinks back. Sheet metal is a lot easier to work with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:
Well, I decided that buying one for a full size truck, then modifying it to fit would be easier than fabricating one from scratch. Of course they sent me the wrong one. Now I'm waiting for the correct one.

sweet, good luck man!

Hey Ghost99, did u order a roll pan for a F-150?? I'm thinking of ordering one of those, also, which year should I order for my 1992? thanks.

It came today!! I'm going to use a 99and up Silverado roll pan. It's a little short on width, but I figured I'd have to fabricate corners anyway. It's 10" from top to bottom. The X is about 9." I'll start working on it tomorrow.

The width on a 1st gen is 64 -65 inches and height about 9-10 inches. Mike

ERR!!!! The roll pan I ordered won't work.:mad: It looks like most roll pans are straight. On the Gen 2 X the tailgate/hatch bows outward. The other thing is that it will have to be larger then 9" from top to bottom in the center to cover the spare tire.
I've started to fabricate one from scratch. The top section is already made. I'm guessing a month before its finished. Oh, I should have pics by tomorrow.

OK, I forgot to take my camera to work today. But, I did make more progress. I made the bottom 10" section. I rolled the bottom, and using a shrinker, made the bow to match the hatch. Next, I'll have to remove the bumper and start trimming frame rails. The other thing, I think I should use a space saver tire as a spare. Since its smaller it might give me some more room to work with. After I mock it up on the X, I'll start fabricating the end caps. It's coming along a little fast than I though.

any chance you'll be able to make a mold of this one when its done and reproduce them for others to buy? :)

One thing I'd like to mention.......if any molds are made, they will need to be made model specific. 98+ hatches are more curved than 91-97 hatches.

Well, here what I've notice and correct me if im wrong. 91-95 have the same hatch. From 96 to 98 have the license plate in the bumper and 99 to 2000 have it in the hatch. That means there should be at least 3 diffrent style roll pans. Mine would be for the 99 to 2000 style.

98-01 have the plate on the hatch.

Originally posted by Ghost99
Well, here what I've notice and correct me if im wrong. 91-95 have the same hatch. From 96 to 98 have the license plate in the bumper and 99 to 2000 have it in the hatch. That means there should be at least 3 diffrent style roll pans. Mine would be for the 99 to 2000 style.

91-97 have plates in the bumper, and have the same rear hatch curvature. 98-01's have the plate in the hatch, and have more hatch curvature.

Well, thats coo.. Then there should be only 2 different roll pans needed then.

So whats the deal?

Is anyone gonna help us out with the roll pan or what? I cant wait to put one on my X. They make such a big diff and the fact that I cant get one makes me want it more!!!!:fire:

I found that the easiest thing to do is cut the quarterpanels off a matching ranger, then having a peice of sheet metal cut and fabricated. I'm having my 98 model done like that with exhaust holes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back