• Register Today It's free!

Roller Rockers HELP.

RiseAgainst

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I put in the 1.7 roller rockers tonight and they are hitting the valve cover and making a very loud noise. I need some clearance and really need some help.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea lol, they wont fit under the stock Explorer valve covers. :p You will need new valve covers or valve cover spacers (the spacers suck, no matter what you do they leak).

PM a member here by the name of rocket 5979. He ran 1.7's back in the day and should be able to help.

Whatever you do DONT DRIVE IT.

Ya. I'm not driving it. PM'ing rocket 5979 was the first thing I did, but he hasnt responded and I was throwing this out hoping others have put in the 1.7's. Do you know if they make deeper valve covers for an Explorer?

Hmm. I've never used these on a V-8, so this is an untested suggestion:

Is the contact shallow enough, and the cover soft enough, that you could hit the rockers' marks with a thick punch and "make" room for clearance?

msmith65 said:
Hmm. I've never used these on a V-8, so this is an untested suggestion:

Is the contact shallow enough, and the cover soft enough, that you could hit the rockers' marks with a thick punch and "make" room for clearance?
I dont think so. Several guys have had to do this just to run 1.6's... since the arm itself is alot thicker than the stock 1.6.

Well what wound up happening is that only the rocker arm on cylinder 1 was contacting. So, the simple solution was to take a hammer and tap the oil valve to thin it out a little. They fit perfectly fine now and are definetely worth the time and money. Ya there is a little power loss in the 0-2700 rpm range, but after that they make up for the loss. So they are great for off the line and not so great for slightly accelerating.

Back