Rolling Vibration

laserstun

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 2WD
1994 XLT 2WD, Stock.

About a month ago, I started noticing a low vibrating hum coming from under the truck. It starts to be noticeable at about 40 MPH and gets really loud on the freeway between about 65-70MPH. At first, I thought it was the tires. They were getting pretty old. I just replaced the tires yesterday and figured it would go away once that happened. No luck. The truck does however, ride and handle a lot better on tires with actual tread so no complaints there :D. Still, that vibration is pretty noticeable and I can't figure it out.

I've checked the transmission fluid, it's not low and still nice and red. The front brake hardware was also just serviced (new rotors & pads). The vibration started before those parts were replaced so I'm guessing that rules it out. The vibration doesn't seem to have anything to do with the engine. If I put it in park or neutral and rev the engine, there's no vibration at all. It's definitely something the truck does when it's moving.

Somebody suggested it may be a wheel bearing, but he wasn't sure. Any ideas as to what it could be? Hopefully nothing expensive. Thanks.

My front wheel bearings are on their way out, and I can hear/feel a humming noise come from my front end when I make turns at speed.

I had my brother drive it yesterday too, he hears the same thing. The hum is definitely louder in left turns than in right (you go faster in left turns). Also, it's loud and steady at freeway speeds. My gut says wheel bearing.

Back