• Register Today It's free!

Engine Vibration

arcticguy57

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I've got a 92 Explorer, 4.0, 5 speed with 150,000 miles. I just drove the truck to Wyoming and back with no problems. I got home and refilled a nearly empty fuel tank. 8 miles into that new tank, the engine developed a noticeable miss. No backfire, however, the engine literally wobbled when it was accelerated. It ran good enough to get me home and I parked it. Next morning I start it and it runs much better but there is still a noticable "vibration" in the motor. It has good power and it revs just fine. I just can't figure out why it's vibrating. The CEL is working normally at start up and does not come on after it fades out. I've checked for vacumm leaks, replaced the plugs, checked the plug wires. I believe it's getting plenty of fuel because it has normal power. It's just got that weird vibration. Could it be bad gas? Any ideas?

how is it doing at idle? i'd change the filter, and wait til the gas runs out, then go to another better gas station. was the gas truck filling the pumps at that time?

Bad gas. Also, my engine runs worse on winter blend gas, so if your area just changed over, then could be that. Run this tank all the way empty and try gas from another station. If you still have issues, you might add some goodstuff to the fuel. I like Techron, others like Seafoam. Wouldn't hurt to put your hands and eyes on the spark plug wires, maybe check for loose intake bolts. I agree on the fuel filter too.

Back