• Register Today It's free!

Rollover facts (not fiction)

exploreraudio

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Limited
I found this fairly interesting...I have driven other SUVs, and firmly believe that the X is just as stable (if not more stable) than any other SUV out there. Give this a read, and pass it along to anyone who asks you about the Firestone recall. Lets's not confuse bad drivers with bad design!

CAR & DRIVER

ANN ARBOR, Michigan,
October 27 /PRNewswire/ -

What happens when a left rear tire on a 1994 Explorer blows on a paved straightaway at 70 mph? "Surprisingly, not much," said Csaba Csere (pronounced Chubba Chedda), editor-in-chief at Car and Driver magazine. "I'd trust my own mother driving in similar circumstances," said Csere, following a series of road tests that he and a team from Car and Driver magazine conducted on October 23 and 26. Results of the tests, conducted at Milan Dragway just south of Car and Driver's Ann Arbor headquarters, revealed that, "during a tire failure, the Explorer, like other modem vehicles in our experience, remains stable and easy to control," said Csere.

"Nothing happened to explain why an Explorer, similarly equipped and under the same conditions, might veer from the paved roadway. And, unless the vehicle leaves the pavement, a rollover is extremely unlikely." Csere speculated that some drivers panic or are startled by the sound of a tire disintegrating or blowing out, then jerk the steering wheel or slam on their brakes. Even so, when technical editor Larry Webster, who drove the test Explorer, fully applied the brakes during one blowout test at 70 mph, he had no trouble controlling the vehicle.

Car and Driver bought the used 1994 four-door, 4WD Explorer October 20, at an independent, used-car dealership in Redford Township, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. The vehicle was equipped with Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires (installed during the Firestone recall), and the odometer read 37,137 miles (a figure Csere suspects is 100,000 miles too low).

Car and Driver had a roll cage and competition seat belts installed to protect the driver, but nothing else mechanically was done to prepare the vehicle for the tests. To record results, two video cameras were mounted: one inside the vehicle, trained on the driver, and one outside the vehicle, aimed at the left rear tire.

The blowout was achieved by fitting a modified wheel with a special valve that would deflate the tire in one-third of a second. This device was triggered remotely via a hand-held transmitter. The modified wheel was fitted to the left rear tire of the Explorer because that position was the one most commonly cited in the Firestone blowout complaints.

With Webster at the wheel, Csere triggered the blowout once the vehicle came up to speed. "Since we were able to perform repeated blowouts, we began our tests at 30 mph and worked our way up to 70 mph in 10-mph increments," explained Csere.

In every case, even at 70 mph, the Explorer's performance was remarkably undramatic. When the blowout occurred, the left rear of the vehicle settled down, but the Explorer continued straight ahead. "I even kept my hands off the steering wheel during one blowout at 70 mph, and the Explorer continued straight. Not until I applied the brakes, which pulled to the left, I was forced to put a hand on the wheel and correct the Explorer's path," explained Webster.

Only after applying the brakes as hard as possible after a 70-mph blowout did the Explorer wiggle at all. Even then, it would have easily stayed within the confines of a normal traffic lane, said Csere.

Based on these results, Csere offers the following advice to drivers of any vehicle who suspect that they are experiencing a tire problem:

Don't panic, modern vehicles tend to remain stable during tire failures.
Keep the vehicle going straight and on the pavement. The chance of rolling over is minimal unless you leave the roadway.
Unless there is an immediate obstruction in your path, don't be in a big hurry to stop. The additional drag of the deflated tire will slow your vehicle down by itself pretty rapidly. Ease your foot off the accelerator and apply the brakes gently to come to a full stop at the side of the road.
"If you follow these guidelines, you have an excellent chance of making sure that your tire failure remains an inconvenience rather than turning into a tragedy," said Csere.

Csere holds a degree in mechanical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He joined Car and Driver in 1980, has held positions of technical editor and technical director, and has performed instrumented tests on more than 800 cars. Previously, he worked on fuel-injection systems at Ford's Advanced Engine engineering office. Webster is a graduate of Lehigh University where he majored in engineering, and he joined Car and Driver in 1994. He is one of the magazine's main road-test drivers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that article was posted here before. It's pretty good. All I can say is, the Explorer is the #1 selling SUV in the USA...which means there are more of them out there...which means a larger number of SUV accidents will involve Explorers...gets me why some can't figure that one out...

Mine is stable, as long as I drive it like it's supposed to be driven (<85 mph). I have done things offroading that could have easily tipped it over, but it stuck to the ground pretty well. One time I thought I was going to roll it for sure offroading in the snow, but it went sideways and just stuck to the ground like a champ. I bet if I had a Land Cruiser I would have flipped over.

just venting...

I too get annoyed at this, NOBODY ever mentions that there are more Explorers out there than any other, such that the numbers of rollovers, crashes, ect will be statistically higher even if the Explorer is more stable. I own a 97 Sport and I think it handles excellent for WHAT IT IS. It is not a 2 seater, road hugging Sportster, Drive it like a SUV and it will handle like a SUV.
I would really like to know how these people are rolling these things over.

OK, while I am venting, for all those who have been seriously hurt in the Explorer {accidents}, why doesn't anyone emphasize that they might not been hurt or hurt MUCH less seriously if they had worn their seatbelt. Doesn't any one take responsibility for ones own actions anymore?

...sorry, just needed to vent

Kurt
97 Explorer Sport 5 spd OHV

Kurt you are right, no one does take responsibility for their own actions anymore...

case in point...

In 1999 I had this gigantic old tree of mine fall into the street after a big storm. Some pothead college girl drove by and hit the tree doing about 35 mph. She somehow didn't see a 8' diameter tree (not to mention driving 35 mph on my street, which is dangerous speed). Her daddy then tries to sue ME. It did not get anywhere because there is a law to the effect that the homeowner is not responsible, the city is.

Point is, her father should teach her some RESPONSIBILITY...be responsibile for your own actions, girl. If you are a bad driver, and speed on wet pavement and don't pay attention so much that you can't see an 8' diameter tree in the road, it's your fault for hitting it. I guess her dad doesn't care about that, he just wants to get some $$$ out of someone. And the gall of it was that her daddy owns a body shop here. ehehe. If I had hit that tree, the only one I would be angry at would be myself.

Once the media is in a "feeding frenzey," there is no stopping them.
I use a high quality "bull$$$$ filter" when I hear all the back and forth in the news about SUVs. There is a lot of corpate "cover your hinney bone" going on with big money behind every (almost)opinion.

30 psi, 26 psi, its Firestone's fault, its an Expolrer design flaw, "my statistics vs your statistic" ...spare me!
I think two words say it best....... "center of gravity" always drive with it in mind.

Just venting too.... who ever said it was a rational society.

The test Car & Driver did was video tapped and has been aired several times on TNN. I think the best part is when the driver lets go of the steering wheel at 70mph, they deflate the tire, and the Explorer hardly wiggles. If anyone wants to see the report watch Car & Driver Television (on TNN). I know they have run it at least twice.

Here is the link to the article with the videoclips in Car and Driver if anyone are interested..
Dead Link Removed
I might also mention that here in Norway I've not heard about all the Explorer-rollovers until I bought one and started surfing the web for info about it. It's not as common here as in the US, but still, a lot of them going around.
I actually called around trying to find a wrecked one to get some cheap parts, and there were only 4 or 5 ones available in the whole country. That should say a bit about how good a car...oops, sorry, I mean truck, it is..

I haven't really been following the Firestone tire issue too much since I got rid of my firestones years before they became an issue. However is the problem a sudden deflation of the tire as in the Car and Driver tests or a tread seperation as in half of the tread being wrapped around the axle? I can't really see a blow out causing the kind of damage being described in the anti-explorer articles but I could see how having most of the tire tread wrapped around the axle would do it to almost any vehicle. When you get right down to it there isn't too much about the explorer suspension that is different from any other vehicle out there. Solid axles and leaf springs have been around forever, TTB was used on many other ford vehicles that don't seem to have a roll over problem. And last but not least as pointed out by Rhett there are a ton of explorers out there, most of the time I can sit in one spot on the freeway and see at least 10 others around me, with numbers like that the stats are going to be higher no matter what.

Back