Ron from Los Angeles. Speedometer, Odometer, Trip reset, Cruise Control- All not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ron from Los Angeles. Speedometer, Odometer, Trip reset, Cruise Control- All not working

RonJ67

Reaction score
City, State
Llano
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4.0L
I noticed when I bought my 1999 Explorer that my speedometer, odometer,trip reset and cruise control didn't work. So I bought a VSS(vehicle speed sensor). Once I started car, it did allow me to reset the trip reset because numbers zeroed out. But nothing still worked. And also when I start vehicle there's a slow beeping sound that last about 20 or 30 seconds and goes off. And same sound comes on periodically while driving the vehicle. Does anyone knows what I should do about these problems to fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those sound like a gear on the end of the speedo cable may be bad? Others on here would have more insight.

I don't believe a '99 would have a cable-driven speedo. Bad VSS (vehicle speed sensor) maybe.

the beeping sound is a warning chime letting you know that critical gauges or lights are out

Do you have a check engine light? My guess is you do and the code in memory is probably P0500 lack of vehicle speed sensor

In 1999 the VSS is in the rear axle

You said you bought a new VSS, did it get installed?
Has anyone checked fuses?

the beeping sound is a warning chime letting you know that critical gauges or lights are out

Do you have a check engine light? My guess is you do and the code in memory is probably P0500 lack of vehicle speed sensor

In 1999 the VSS is in the rear axle

You said you bought a new VSS, did it get installed?
It did get installed. I was only able to reset the set trip button. Speedometer and odometer, cruise control doesn't work. Everything else on cluster does.

Silly question I know but I have to ask. So many times trucks are fixed around here just by having a good look at the fuses

We have had 2 instrument clusters with water damage here in the last 6 months. Corrosion on the back of the instrument cluster causes some strange issues...........Maybe worth a check.

Back