Roof rack crossbars - retrofit 2013 bars to 2016 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack crossbars - retrofit 2013 bars to 2016 Explorer?

vlade

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT
When we traded in our '13 for the '16 I was (it seems incorrectly) told by the salesman that our OEM crossbars from our '13 would work on the '16. Fast forward a year to when I actually attempt to install them and I'm realizing that there is a new part for the '16 and '17 explorers.

My question is this - It seems like the bars will fit. They just don't have the right hardware to attach. The '13s used a slide mechanism at the end of each bar to attach to the rails, but the '16 requires bolts to screw into the rails - 8 total (2 on each side of each bar). It looks like I can remove the slide things and reuse the 4 bolts that came with the '13 bars, but that leaves me 4 short. Am I being too simple minded to think I can find some similar bolts at Home Depot to match and simply use the bars I have? Has anyone else tried this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Why not just get the package that comes with the newer ones? This is what came with mine. BTW, there were only 4.

Peter

eye bolt.JPG

eye bolts.JPG

The crossbars kit is shown on the Ford Accessories Store for $135.70.

Peter

Yeah, was hoping to save about $133 and spend $2 on bolts :)
Give the dealer a call and see how much they are asking for that package. Did you find the ones that should have come with your Explorer?

Give the dealer a call and see how much they are asking for that package. Did you find the ones that should have come with your Explorer?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I just checked the glove compartment. And every other conceivable space in the car. No thumb screws. The manual, however, on page 233 states that they are in the glove compartment. After a year, I can't state definitively that they were or were not there when the car was delivered. Who knows what the wife does with stuff she finds. SO ... my new plan is to buy a set of these. From somehwere. Thank you!

I found mine in with the spare tire.

I found mine in with the spare tire.

LOL, that is where I found my cargo net but didnt look closer, wonder if i have a set in there......

LOL, that is where I found my cargo net but didnt look closer, wonder if i have a set in there......
You have a cargo net? I pulled the cover off the tire. Didn't lift the tire. Will try tomorrow. Otherwise - Ebay. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Yes and it was on top of the tire.

Yes and it was on top of the tire.
I haven't looked back there yet to see if there is even a spare. I guess that is something to add to my "to do" list for the day. I still have the 'Made in Mexico' cargo net from my previous MKT which I forgot to put back in the vehicle when I returned it. The one that was in my 2011 Limited never made it out of the passenger's door side pocket.:)
EDIT: No cargo net in mine.

Peter

Back