Rookie questions about Moab | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rookie questions about Moab

JOlson

Reaction score
The wife and I are going to be in Moab over Labor Day & would like to try some off road driving but have no experience at it. Can anyone suggest a beginners trail in the area? I have been Mt. biking there several times and am familiar with the area but the offroad 4x4 thing is new.

Also, what tire pressure should I run off road, 20psi?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John Olson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not very familiar with the trails either but one that I can suggest is to make sure you are prepaired for the trail. I would go to Rick's feature Explorer section and at the bottom of his Tech info there is a list of what to bring with you on the trail. I would go through that and make sure you have all the main stuff with you like tow ropes, water, Jack, extra fluids, (oil, tranny oil, antifreeze) First aid kit, tools and extra hardware, (nuts and bolts) Duct tape lol....ect. Hope that helps some.

Get the Book!

You are going to love MOAB! I would recomend investing in the "BOOK", I forgot the exact title, but it's listed in our MOAB thread. Do a search.

I would recomend Top of the World. Very Very scenic. 30 miles or so drive to the trail head but worth it. Stocker should have no problems with this trail.

I'm sure some others will recomend so good trails for a stock Explorer. Your truck is very capable, but don't get over excited and try a trail that you are not ready for. Also, buddie up or stick to mostly easy roads.

You will really enjoy some of these trails.

Hi John,
I'm with Rob on this, You'll love the place. Yes indeed do get the book. Infact you can order it of this website by clicking on the Explorer Bookstore on the main page. Top of the world is a very good trail to go on, infact if you click on my link "Ray's truck" in my signature, that picture was taken at the top of top of the world. You could also check out Gemini Bridges and the Secret spire. These are all trails that won't get you into trouble, Secret spire being the mostly groomed dirt road, but very nice senery.
Hope this helps and have fun.
Since you are going at it alone, Please make sure you bring plenty of water, and supplies. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. ;)

Ray that's a heck of a picture! Don't think I want to drive out that far though! I have ridden gemeni bridges on my bike, I think we will try top of the world.

Thanks for the input.

Back