Rough Automatic Transmission

Inverhyt

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon City, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB v8 5l
Hello!

So I thought I would check really quickly with you guys on opinions with what's going on. My transmission has been shifting really rough lately. When accelerating it's mostly fine, it's rough as in you can feel it noticeably in the car. After a heavy acceleration and letting off the gas it will lurch when it tries to shift down.

My car is a Ford Explorer 1996 Eddie Bauer Edition with the 5L V8 and 4-speed automatic transmission.

I brought it to a mechanic and the fluid is apparently fine. So what issues am I looking at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a can of BG ATC. It will revive your transmission by cleaning and reconditioning it. It worked wonders for my explorer. Shifts and operates perfectly since I used that stuff at 165,000 miles. I'm at 197,000 now

Are you experiencing torque converter shudder? Does it happen at 35-40 MPH? There are posts on the internet about that going back before your truck was made.

Are you experiencing torque converter shudder? Does it happen at 35-40 MPH? There are posts on the internet about that going back before your truck was made.

No, it is not that vicious and does not happen at those speeds. It's whenever it shifts into any gear it lags and then finally shifts and it almost jerks the car.

Buy a can of BG ATC. It will revive your transmission by cleaning and reconditioning it. It worked wonders for my explorer. Shifts and operates perfectly since I used that stuff at 165,000 miles. I'm at 197,000 now

I'll certainly look into it. Thank you. My car is currently at 202,000.

No, it is not that vicious and does not happen at those speeds. It's whenever it shifts into any gear it lags and then finally shifts and it almost jerks the car.

I'll certainly look into it. Thank you. My car is currently at 202,000.

A 96 4R70w needs updated 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators. That is likely your problem. I'm too lazy to find the TSB. That will cause the shifts you describe. The springs are probably broken too, very common problem.

1-2 is easy, just drop the pan, 2-3 valve body has to come off.

A 96 4R70w needs updated 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators. That is likely your problem. I'm too lazy to find the TSB. That will cause the shifts you describe. The springs are probably broken too, very common problem.

1-2 is easy, just drop the pan, 2-3 valve body has to come off.

Alright! I will look into it. I'll replace the 1-2 and see if it makes a difference. If it does I'll look into replacing 2-3.

Alright, I take that back. There is a massive shudder, around 40- 50 and it doesn't like to switch into 4th easily at all.

Back