• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle after Gasket Change

Sunstreaker

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
I just completed changing the valve cover gaskets. I put everything back together and fired it up. Had a really bad idle and the left heats and cat were glowing read. Went back and found the 5 and 6 firing orders reversed. Now she runs smoother but still has a rough/surging isle. No engine codes yet but seems a little rich by the sniff test. Had no issues other than leaky valve cover gaskets. 79160 miles. Thoughts?

I'd suspect an air leak. But before that, pull the battery cable to reset the fuel trims and try it again. When you had the plug wires reversed, it may have thrown the fuel trims way off enough that it will take a little time to recover. Pulling power will reset the trims.

Did you ever figure this problem out? I have the same issue after replacing my driver side valve cover gasket

Found my problem after I took it apart again. It was an electric terminal on one of the fuel injectors. Seems someone before me had broken the retainer clip and it fell off during my reassembly. Fixed it and it runs strong now.

Back