Rough Idle help!

stevetimleck

Reaction score
City, State
toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
I have a 98 sport 4.0 sohc
The dealer stung me for 200 to replace intake manifold o rings which did nothing then he said it was the IAC I just replaced that and no difference
During cold starts the thing barely idles then surges up and down in revs.
Is resetting the computer nedded for proper IAC install?
any ideas would be appreciated warm idle is fine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd reset the computer if you didn't do it already. Also, check your vacuum lines. One may have come loose or cracked, or a cap may have popped off.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them about the recall on the cam tensioners!
This is covered for free for up to 72K miles!
Check alos for intake leaks at the PCV valve T, the intake manifold gaskets(upper/lower) the intake boot(from TB to aircleaner box)

good luck.

They should know all about this..

doug what does the cam tensioners have to do with a rough cold start?
Arent they related to the rattling noise problem?

It has spent 4 nights on 3 trips at the dealer (intake gaskets)and just costs me money besides I have moved 100 miles from the dealer I originally paid so it will cost a ****load to drive there (warranty) drop it off and get a ride back etc... so I would like to fix it my self thats why I bought the IAC and installed myself?
all ideas welcome the truck has 100 000 kms (60,000 M)

Both the camshaft tensioners and the intake manifold o-rings are covered under Owner Notification Program 00M12. When a dealer replaces one, they are supposed to replace the other. If you paid to have it fixed before the extended warranty was announced, Ford will reimburse you. If they fail after the extended warranty was announced, Ford will replace them at no charge. Do a search for 00M12 and you will find the complete text from the letter from Ford. They are covered for 6 years/72K miles. Even though you are in Canada, I have heard of several people up North getting the same coverage. Find my letter I mentioned earlier, print it out and go back to your Ford dealer and get your $200 back.

Cam tensioner/O-ring warranty

I received a letter from Ford which extended the warranty on both of these items to 100K miles. I don't remember the limitation for the number of years but I think that it was extended to 7 years.

That was the camshaft guides that the warranty was extended to 7 years/100K miles through ONP 01M01. The camshaft tensioners and intake manifold o-rings were extended to 6 years/72K miles through ONP 00M12.

331-361-3040.jpg

331-361-3041.jpg

Back