Rough Idle, loss of power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle, loss of power

Rganther

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer
We have a 93 explorer eddie bauer. Have replaced the MAF sensor (twice just to be sure lol) oxygen sensor, plugs and wires, When sitting still it idles spurraticly up and down, rev the rpms and no power problem, go down the road and more times than not, sudden loss of power,like I am not even stepping on gas than let off pedal and some power comes back. I am thinking that muffler might be shot or clogged since it seems to have blown a seam,I can unplug the MAF sensor and she idles fine but muffler is loud of course.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
baffled at the beach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you checked to see if you have any vacuumleaks? any codes?

plan on taking a good look at the lines tomorrow,didn't have any batteries for maglite , only code it pulls is MAF sensor out of range. muffler system is really loud and rich.

hmm sounds like MAF is def the problem, even though you have replaced it twice, if you unplug it and it idles fine, then that is what it is

Not necessarily

I sold that piece of **** anyway, but I was told that when u unplug any component such as the MAF the comp goes into a fail safe mode which is why it leveled out when unplugged and seemed 2 remedy the problem, with it unplugged though you couldn't drive it, anywho I appreciate your response. Still love fords still have my F150.

Back