Rough Idle / No longer going into gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle / No longer going into gear

afeltman

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport XLT
Hello, I have a 2003 Explorer Sport XLT 2-door. V6 4.0 Sohc engine. A couple weeks ago my explorer started idling roughing in drive. It was stalling out at lights and stop signs. It was also stalling when driving in reverse. A few days ago when putting it into drive it would no go into gear. I would have to put it into 2nd press the gas pedal there would be a delay and it would then lurch into 2nd. As of 4-26-2016 it would no longer go into Drive or 1st or 2nd gear. It will still go into Reverse; but stalls out. I attempted to clean the IAC, replaced the TPS. I tried to clean the Throttle body while it was on the vehicle. I do not know how to take about the throttle cable in order to remove the throttle body. Additionally when I took it to AutoZone no codes appeared.

So now I am wondering if I should I replace the IAC? try to clean the throttle body better? Is it possibly a Transmission issue?

Maybe an electrical issue with the IAC or TPS not getting power?

Update: it doesn't sound to be idling rough in Reverse, but it will not got into drive or first or 2nd.

Thanks for any assistance provided

Sounds sort of like symptoms of a torque converter failing to unlock

Could be something as simple as sticking lockup solenoid.

Back