Rough Idle Question, Need Diagnosis | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle Question, Need Diagnosis

Well every time I do something to the truck I reset the computer. So it was about 2 weeks ago I guess. But like I said before, it has ALWAYS been like this, but just getting worse.

I took it for a test drive, it has to be that darn MAF. WOW what a power increase when I had it disconnected. Idle was perfect and a little bit higher.

I guess I will try to clean it now.

Amazing......I think I may have fixed it.

I took the maf out and trimmed down some cuetips and sprayed intake clean on them and worked at the MAF filaments for about 15 minutes. HTe one further back was very dark. It is now less dark but not totally shiny. The one up front is completely shiny now. I put the maf back in and discoed the battery for 10 minutes and started her up. Much less of a rough idle. Doesn't seem to want to cut off now either. It still won't rev high as I think it should, but maybe the computer needs to relearn.

Thanks for the input guys!

man iv had this same problem since i got this explorer , iv taken it to the ford dealership on several occasions and they tell me that the 4.0 engine will not run smooth. something about the cam that ford put into the engine to give her a little more pep. hmmm sounds funny to me but iv looked and heard alot of 1991-1994 explorers and i havent heard a smooth running one yet .

It's probably because they have alot of miles. Mine is NOT perfectly smooth because I can still feel the engine runing if I touch the outside of ther truck, but it is so much better than before, because it no longer "surges".

Back