• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle

Chrisman889

Reaction score
City, State
Gypsum, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer xlt
93 Explorer 219k starting to have a rough idle. Engine shakes and wobble at idle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try to isolate which cylinder it is. One way is to pull spark plug wires (may want to wear rubber or leather gloves) and see which wire makes no difference when removed. Or, check with a IR thermometer for the cooler spot on the exhaust manifolds.

Once you have the cylinder narrowed down you can check the plug wire's resistance, and the spark plug for wear/damage/cracks.

Probably just end up getting new plugs and wires. I tried unplugging the wires from the module but I guess that won't tell me if it's a wire or plug right?

If you can narrow down which cylinder, then you only have to test one plug and one wire instead of six.

You can test the wires with a multimeter for proper resistance. The plugs you can pull out and check the condition. Check for cracks in the insulators.

There should be a sensor on the throttle body, it is the idle sensor just replaced mine fixed the low and rough idle, has 2 Philips head screws you have to put plenty of pressure when taking them off. good lucky brother hope it helps

Back