RPM and Speedometer needles off....HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RPM and Speedometer needles off....HELP!!

theforins

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4X4
My husband was changing a blown bulb in his cluster panel and somehow broke something. So he ended up ordering a used cluster. Now when he puts it in the truck the RPM and Speedometer needles are totally off, and the truck isn't even started. They sit about 1/4-1/2 way from the needle rest pin. He's got to take the truck to work tomorrow and we need to fix this. Is it something we can do ourselves? If so how? Or do we need to take it to a professional?

Help!!!
Devon

You should be able to pull off the cluster lens (while it is still installed in the truck) with a small torx screwdriver.
Take off the needle - use some sort of fork type device to get under the needle and apply equal pressure to both sides while pulling off.
Then lightly press the back needle on and turn key to run position to see the current "0" position. If the needle is not sitting right (at 0), pull it straight up and off, and place it back on in the "0" position. Then re-check, if it's ok push the needle on fully and put it back together.

Thanks for the reply. That method didn't really work. I bought a used one a the junk yard and the speedometer is still off. Example: Actual speed 60mph, speedometer reads 55mph. How can we fix this? Is there any way to calibrate it? Can I do it myself or is there some product I can buy or do are there any type of specialized mechanics who may know how?

Thanks.

They are dependant on signal sent to the cluster. Of all of the clusters I've swapped, installed and sold- and it's multi-dozens of them- none of them ever needed to be recalibrated. If you are absolutely 100% positive that the needles are correct, you have have an issue with the VSS or tires/gearing.

Back