Rubbing and no self-center on hard turns | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubbing and no self-center on hard turns

Tock

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLS Sport
Lately I've noticed the tires rubbing slightly on full-lock turns. The wheel will also fail to self-center and the truck will sort of pull more steering angle past a certain point (after maybe 95% of a turn in either direction) if control on the steering wheel is relaxed -- as opposed to slowly returning to center as the vehicle moves. It's acting almost as if the wheels are turning farther than intended. Otherwise the steering is fine and the truck drives fine. Tires are stock sized 235/70/16. Any ideas?

Lately I've noticed the tires rubbing slightly on full-lock turns. The wheel will also fail to self-center and the truck will sort of pull more steering angle past a certain point (after maybe 95% of a turn in either direction) if control on the steering wheel is relaxed -- as opposed to slowly returning to center as the vehicle moves. It's acting almost as if the wheels are turning farther than intended. Otherwise the steering is fine and the truck drives fine. Tires are stock sized 235/70/16. Any ideas?

Sounds to me like you need to get a wheel alignment done. When going straight down a road, the center of your steering wheel should be level and centered. A computerized wheel alignment inspection should tell you what is going on with the steering issues. Take it to a shop you trust that can do wheel alignments.

Back