Rubicon run October

zensius

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4 dr. EB
Alright guys some friends of mine and me are going to run the Rubicon the first week in October. (4-6) We're looking for Northern Californian's to join us. We're planning on starting the trail early Sat. morning. We're looking for CAPABLE trucks to come along. We've got a newly built tricked EB with winch. A mildly modified EB. My 4 door X with 5.5, 33's and a new limited slip. (yea) And possibly a newish Xterra with a mild lift. We've all done many trails including the Fordyce but none of us has done the Rubicon. We're all good guys that respect the trail and the surroundings. Wanna join us? Experience with the Rubicon a plus. Sounds a lot like a personal add doesn't it?
MWM's & SWM's seek others for wknd of fun with X's& EB's, us disease free you be 2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Have fun it could get cold. I ran fordyce this past weekend and it is harder then the rubicon. Im trying to get up there mid october but doubt it will happen.

Matt

I ran the Fordyce last year and it's good to hear from someone who's done both that it (Fordyce)is harder. I've read write ups on the Rubicon that mention a lot of carnage and rollovers and I was starting to get worried. Did you run Fordyce in your Ranger? Any damage?

Majority of the rubicon damage is in the little sluce and that is easily bypassed. Ended up doing alot of damage to my truck on fordyce. Had the hardest time climbing winch hill one where i took a bad line and had to winch out. How deep were the water crossings when you ran fordyce? I had water over the hood at one point and almost coming in over teh top of my half doors. We ended up cutting out right after winch hill 2 crossing the river and heading out towards fordyce lake cause it got late on us.

Matt

The rivers were running high for us last year too. Over the hood for sure. I hydrolocked on the first crossing. How did you cut out after winch hill two? Which is winch hill two? Can you get out to the highway at Fordyce Lake? Wow, new info.

I just followed my friend he knew the way. when you hit the area where the old steel tubs or eqipment or what everythey are and the trail heads up to left you go about 20 fett up the trail and take a right. go down to the creek and go a cross. There is a certain area to cross or it gets to deep. Then it comes out i belive it is fordyce lake then it it is all forest service roads to the highway. I guess the water flow was 235 feet a minute wich im not sure i would go if it was much higher.

Matt

Matt, where's the pictures of hood deep water? :)

Here's a picture of Fordyce creek with hood deep crossing.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 171

:eek:

ok i havent ran the rubicon in my explorer, but i have ran it before with other rigs, let me tell you wont even make it through hells gate(very begining) unless you dont care about your rocker panels, i wont do the rubicon until i get a locker,35's, and rock sliders. after hells gate, its pretty easy, last i heard which was memorial day when i was there was all the bypasses like through little sluece and big sluece have been blocked off. other then that the trail is pretty mild. hells gate,little sluece,big sluece and cadillac hill is the bad parts. if you decide to go, good luck and may god be with you.

I have never heard teh front called hells gate always thought it was called gatekeeper. Anyway you can get around it if you go to wentworth springs there is a way in or if right before you get to the gatekeeper you head downhill down the slabs there then cut over and you will end up on the granite slabs about a 1/4 mile in. Plus there is no way that the litttle sluse has been bypassed. when i was there last september it was a 4 foot wall to climb to get in but rigs were still doing it. And from pics ive seen from people there in the last month it still looks about the same. Plus you can drive around eather side of it.

Matt

Back