Rumblng noise in front end - when rolling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rumblng noise in front end - when rolling

noreastcarnut

Reaction score
City, State
Rockport Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
A grumbling rumbling noise is now in the front end. Sounds like on left front. Mine is a 2005 with 156,000. This noise came on suddenly. I read other answers on this, but I'll have to have my garage try for it again. They will look at wheel bearings first. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A grumbling rumbling noise is now in the front end. Sounds like on left front. Mine is a 2005 with 156,000. This noise came on suddenly. I read other answers on this, but I'll have to have my garage try for it again. They will look at wheel bearings first. :confused:
If it is wheel bearings it should be easy to diagnose. Get the front end on jack stands and spin the wheel by hand. Compare both sides. A bad bearing will be obvious Try moving the tire , held from top and bottom or from side to side Any slop will reveal itself

If it is wheel bearings it should be easy to diagnose. Get the front end on jack stands and spin the wheel by hand. Compare both sides. A bad bearing will be obvious Try moving the tire , held from top and bottom or from side to side Any slop will reveal itself

I appreciate the advice. I did check the front wheels elevated, spinned and felt no problem. I suppose it's something expensive to fix. :(

I appreciate the advice. I did check the front wheels elevated, spinned and felt no problem. I suppose it's something expensive to fix. :(

It happen that the wheel bearings don't make any noise when there is no weight on them.

It happen that the wheel bearings don't make any noise when there is no weight on them.
OH WELL, my garage replaced the left front bearings but the same loud vibration/noise is still there! They think it is in the differential. I' m not sure what to do now. I am trying to sell this Explorer for only $2900, but don't want to spend any more $. A used differential? :(
'

Does it get louder or quieter while driving and turning left or right?

My 04 Aviator is doing the same thing while I was changing my brakes yesterday I noticed my bushings on my front diff were busted up trying to find replacements outside of ford, who is charging $120 for all three, my front hub is all good can someone direct me to a solution

I decided to have the differential replaced with a good (I hope) used one on my 2005. Let's hope that solves my problem!

My 04 Aviator is doing the same thing while I was changing my brakes yesterday I noticed my bushings on my front diff were busted up trying to find replacements outside of ford, who is charging $120 for all three, my front hub is all good can someone direct me to a solution

I decided to have the differential replaced with a good (I hope) used one on my 2005. Let's hope that solves my problem!

Well I'm going to fix all of the stress points of the suspension before I dive into the differential of course I need to install bushings for the front diff housing as it's swinging

This is an update to this thread I have replaced my front differential housing assembly as the front was a 3.55 and my rear was 3.73 check with the factory using my VIN to see which differential was the right one and was told 3.73. so I replace front diff with 3.73 and it drove fine for about 5 months before the clunking and rattling returned the bushings were not in the shape that I thought they were by eye. These bushings have to be pressed out and in to be replaced these bushings need to be brand new if they're not brand new and you got your front differential housing out of the junkyard you need to replace the bushings before you insert the front differential housing as you will cause more damage and possibly damage the mounting holes that hold the bolt and nut to the differential affecting your front drive shaft

Back