Running battery power lead through firewall . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running battery power lead through firewall .

Maxmini

Reaction score
City, State
Northridge CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer Xlt 4wd
I have a 2006 Explorer XLT 4wd. I needed to run a lead from the battery into my dash area for a set of driving lights . I had read a few different procedures but I think I may have found another which was actually quite easy . I noticed when looking at the firewall from the engine bay that there was a rubber nipple to the upper left of the mounting plate for the steering column , see the three photo sequence . Looking from the interior there is a black round plastic finned plug protruding upper tight of the column mounting plate .The pair of photos show the item . I pulled that out with a pair of vice grips with a little difficulty but it gave way . The hole was smaller than 1/4 inch so I drilled it a bit more to accept the power cable . There is actually a grommet that was around the black plastic unit so when you push your wire thru the grommet seals it nicely . I hope this gives others another option when running power . One additional item the wire kit that was only $ 11 was perfect for the application .

IMG_6487.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg

IMG_6492.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6499.jpeg

Back