Running hot and No Heat inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running hot and No Heat inside

jwins77

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi everyone. First lemme say thanks for an awesome forum. I have looked a few things up on here in the past and there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here! Anyway, I can't find a solution to my current problem. I am not too knowledgeable about these things so hopefully someone who knows more can point me in the right direction.

1992 Explorer 4x4 4.0L manual trans...

In the year or so I have had my explorer it has had a slow leak somewhere in the coolant system. I drive it daily and only needed to add water about once/month. So there was nothing but water in the system: no anti-freeze. And it froze. Last week the temp dropped down to 16 degrees one night and stayed in the 20's for a couple days straight. However, being a dumba$$ and not thinking, I drove it when it was freezing. It overheated pretty bad, pretty fast. But I stopped as soon as I noticed it overheating and I don't think I cracked the head or block. Now it's back in the 40s and everything is thawed.

A couple freeze plugs blew out; I replaced those. It seems to be holding coolant fine now, can't find any leaks anywhere. When I drive it now though, it heats up to the "L" in Normal and even a little beyond, not quite in the red though. It used to stay down around the "o". It also gets up to that heat pretty darn fast, like within a mile or 2. I seem to be able to drive as far as I want and it doesn't heat up past that point. It is also pumping a lot of coolant into the overflow tank, like to the point the overflow tank is overflowing! Furthermore, the heater inside is only blowing cold air, it always used to work fine. Actually, when the heater started blowing cold is how I always used to know it was time to add water.

Now, please don't chew me out for being stupid and not fixing the problem of adding water every month. :) I know it was dumb. I know it was also dumb to drive the thing when it was filled with ice!

So I replaced the thermostat and radiator cap which the gasket looked a little torn up. I also removed the hoses that go into the firewall and ran water through there and there is a good flow so I guess the heater core isn't clogged up. The top radiator hose gets nice and hot and the bottom one is cooler. This is all how things should be right? I mean coolant seems to be flowing through the system pretty good so what could the problem be? Could it be the water pump just not pumping enough? That is the only thing I can think of. I just wanted some advice or other easy possible solutions before I go through the work of pulling the water pump. Also, there is no water in the oil or oil in the water so I don't think the head gasket or anything went bad. Please give me some feedback! Thanks, and sorry if this post is a little long! :)

Your water pump is shot. Replace it.

agree, water pump froze up, when you fired it up ill put money that you ether snapped off all the fins on the impeller pump, or you snapped the shaft off.

simple solution if you have a problem in the future having coolant loss, keep a jug of pre-mix in the truck.

Thanks for the advice, you were totally right: snapped shaft on water pump. Replaced the pump today and drove quite a bit afterwords; everything seems fine.

Back