Running Rough - Please Help!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running Rough - Please Help!!!!!

Reaction score
City, State
Broomall,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer xlt 4x2
I have a 04 explorer xlt 4.0. Been having a code egr insufficient flow engine runs rough on at idle. winded up being egr valve so I replaced it cleared code and light never came back on truck is still running rough. Any ideas from any of u guys out there??? I'd really appreciate it. I also believe truck has original plugs and wires bought new plugs gonna throw them in and see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 04 explorer xlt 4.0. Been having a code egr insufficient flow engine runs rough on at idle. winded up being egr valve so I replaced it cleared code and light never came back on truck is still running rough. Any ideas from any of u guys out there??? I'd really appreciate it. I also believe truck has original plugs and wires bought new plugs gonna throw them in and see what happens.
Is it running rough as you drive it or at idle ? We need more info from you in order to give you answers.

It was running rough at idle and also very sluggish on Highway like it wasn't getting enough gas, pulled codes and gave me misfire on cylinder 1 and cyl 3, also a misfire on startup code, I changed the brand new auto lite plugs with new motor craft plugs and put my original wires back on and bam problem fixed, still has a very slight rough idle only at idle so im going to try and put new upper intake gaskets on and see if that helps I am no longer getting any codes or a flashing cel light but I would like to see if I can get this idle under control. Any help welcome. Also thanks for the reply

As far as any vacuum leaks I've sprayed a whole bottle of brake cleaner around all hoses and intake manifold and no change in idle, I will hook up my scanner and check the fuel trim.

There are no pending codes but on my way home I had my scanner hooked up and it counted 3 misfires truck runs great on Highway just a slight rough idle in park.

As far as any vacuum leaks I've sprayed a whole bottle of brake cleaner around all hoses and intake manifold and no change in idle, I will hook up my scanner and check the fuel trim.
I would prefer to see you perform a smoke test, that way you will (see) if leaks are present. The firewall side of the intake plenum is hidden from my 02 Exp. Im thinking yours must be also. Check all intake bolts for proper torque. Should be either 8 or 10 bolts.

Ok I will retorque the bolts but I bought new gaskets so I was just going to replace them being the truck has 143000 miles so it's due to change them, I also heard the pcv valve goes bad on these it has an electrical connector the one on the back of the valve cover facing the fire wall.

Hey there so I have my scanner hooked up all readings are while truck is at idle and my FRP (psi) stays around 40 psi
Soft trim 1. Jumps from 0 -1 2 3 0
Soft trim 2. Does the same as trims
Long trim 1. Stays at 7
Long trim 2. Stays at 8
Rpms at idle jumps up to about 641 and i thought this truck should be in the 500s?

This is my first ford ever so im trying learn I know mostly chevy but I love my explorer and would love to keep her around awhile all help welcome please and thanks again.

At 3000rps read
Sft trim goes up to 5 or 7 then jumps down to neg 2 neg 6 n back up to positive numbers between 0 and 6
Sft trim 2 seems to do almost pretty much the same.
Lngtrim 1 stays at 2 and Lngtrim 2 stays at 1

yep, doesn't indicate a vacuum leak.. usually a bad LTFT will be above 12 or 18 (?) and will go down if the rev is increased (no vacuum) I think a value of > 20 or 25 will trigger a CEL.

this model year is throttle by wire and IAC is integrated (previous years were cable) so check your TPS percentage if it corresponds to your pedal push.. throttle body might need cleaning or tps sensor just not accurate..

Doesn't go anywhere near 20 the readings I posted were consistently jumping from low + readings to low - readings back and forth. The highest + reading was about 8 and -6 jumping back forth as stated above, I will check throttle body and tips sensor thank u again for getting back to me really a big help

Just an update ever since I put the motor craft plugs in no more misfire and CEL has not came back on but on the highway it doesn't pick up speed like it should when trying to pass or when I go to floor it it picks up slowly but I feel like I almost sounds to me like the cat on the driver side is rattling only when gas pedal applied trying to pass or when I flook it.

Back