Runs in The Joshua Tree Area | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Runs in The Joshua Tree Area

Re: Re: 2WD X

Where is Joshua Tree located and how far is it away from LA?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check http://www.guadalupe-canyon.com As far as info on Joshua Tree NP and the mild trails in that park, you could either check the National Park Service pages, or just visit the park. They hand out maps to the park at the front counter. Also at the Cottonwood Visitors Center there is a bookstore that has more literature/resources.

Joshua Tree NP is roughly a 2 1/4 hr. drive from Downtown Los Angeles. You'll enter the park at the Cottonwood Visitors Center a few exits past the 111 turnoff [Salton Sea], and you will begin to ascend into the hills east of Indio on I-10. You will see a turnoff that will take you to Mecca /29 Palms. Go north and you will enter the park in about 5 miles. Pay your entrance fee, and you'll be given a free map.

Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Joshua Tree NP is roughly a 2 1/4 hr. drive from Downtown Los Angeles. You'll enter the park at the Cottonwood Visitors Center a few exits past the 111 turnoff [Salton Sea], and you will begin to ascend into the hills east of Indio on I-10. You will see a turnoff that will take you to Mecca /29 Palms. Go north and you will enter the park in about 5 miles. Pay your entrance fee, and you'll be given a free map.

Do u know the address so i can get directions?

Old Dale Road at the end is sandy

A friend of mine in a 4x2 followed me on old dale road and did wiell until near the end where it dumps out on highway 62 and did get stuck in a few washes otherwise it is a easy trail. Also it can get pretty darn warm this time of year so bring plenty of water.
Berdoo Canyon is a trail that I have done in a 4x2 and can be negotiated with care. Trails such as Geology Tour and most of the other maintained roads are easy even if it is posted 4x4 only
As for mines well Lost horse mine is easy to get to and is maintained by the park. Gives a good example of the mining in the area. The best example of mines that can be entered are off of old dale road but can not be negotiated with out four wheel drive. Especially the end near Brooklyn mine which even requirs a lift. I have the dents in my gas tank to prove that. Though out of all the mines I have visited that is the best preserved of all
As for other sites one can see is Squaw Tank located off Geology tour and when exiting Geology tour there is another tank usually with water in it that can be reached on a short hike and gives great examples of the plant life in the area.
Joshua Tree has 2 other enterences off of highway 62 as well have a great time

Joshua Tree Run in next couple of weeks...

With all of this talk of Joshua Tree, would anyone be up for a run in the park? How about at night? I've been there at night before, and it is a blast. Although it is hot, it is also very, very amazing to travel these trails after dark. Is Rockhouse still in the same condition, or did the park service begin repairing/dismantling it yet? I'm able to do this during the week or we could do an overnight run...Just like the Jeep clubs do.

Re: Joshua Tree Run in next couple of weeks...

Originally posted by Ken Cooke
With all of this talk of Joshua Tree, would anyone be up for a run in the park? How about at night? I've been there at night before, and it is a blast. Although it is hot, it is also very, very amazing to travel these trails after dark. Is Rockhouse still in the same condition, or did the park service begin repairing/dismantling it yet? I'm able to do this during the week or we could do an overnight run...Just like the Jeep clubs do.

I'm willing to go because i've never been offroading before and it would be nice to go with people that did. I dunno about night though.

Night Run as opposed to Day Run...

I saw in the L.A. Times that the temps in Palm Springs are going to be 100 today. That is not bad. With the higher elevation in Joshua Tree NP, this could be comfortable 'wheeling weather - as long as the weather holds out.
Is anyone interested in a mid-week Joshua Tree run? Lets say this Tuesday? I'm definitely up for it. I suggested a night run due to the fact that Rockhouse was closed, and this would be fun to explore after dark w/o fear of Johnny Law catching up with us!

Not now but...

If you guys do any runs in Sept./Oct. drop me an E-mail. I can only do AZ runs for the next month or so due to work, but after that we would love to get out to the Palm Springs area again.(used to live there).
Rick

Back