Runs in The Joshua Tree Area | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Runs in The Joshua Tree Area

Great Turnout on the Run

I wanted to thank all of you for coming all this way for the run yesterday. Though it was a bit cold and adverse weather kept us all with windows up and the heat going it turned out to be a wonderful day.
As soon as I am no longer verticlly challanged I will be looking forward to many other runs in and around Joshua tree. Pictures will be posted within a few days. Again thank everyone for a great day on the trails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dan,
Had a great time, thanks for showing us the area.
If you had about 2 more inches of clearance you would of made it up that mountain, no telling what obsticals we could have encounter further up.
After we split up, we hit the road, had a nice dinner in 29 Palms and got back to the San Fernando Valley before 10:30pm. with all the rain we encountered on the way home, we were glad we didn't camp out for the night, it's still raining in LA.
Let's do it again in the spring, maybe Peter Weber will get out for the ride when things are in full blossum.
It was good to meet new folks, Ken Cooke & Suzanne, Dan Wilson and Steve and good to see Blayne and his family.

JT

Starsailor Dan,

Sorry we missed it, but I had to be on duty Saturday.

Please let us know when you plan future JT runs, We would really like to learn and see more of that area!

Thanks,

The Next Joshua Tree RUn

Again I want to thank all of you for coming on my first Joshua tree run. After Los Coyoteys I will plan another trip into the park and hoefully by the next run I will have some more clearence. I am determined to find where that trail goes and it ticked me off that I could not make it <grin>.
There are a number of other trails I wish to share with all of you and on the next run the weather should be warm enough to do an over nighter.
See you all at the nxt run and in the mean time I will be starting my modifications so that we can go to more places in the Park

Dan,
According to the Topo's that trail we tried to go up continues on for less than a half mile, makes a sharp left turn then ends.
I don't think we missed much, it doesn't show any points of interest at the top.
But, like any other explorer the main point of interest is just getting to the top.

Any pics?

Dan...I've got some photos of your truck, I'll get them scanned, do you have any digitals of mine?

How far is Joshua Tree from Truckhaven?

I'm going to be at T-haven this weekend for the "event", but I want to break away and do trails that aren't so crowded. This may be a good opportunity for me to see Joshua Tree if it's not to far.

not a bad idea

Hey Rick, I would be willing to go over there with you. If you look at the map, Joshua Tree is just out east of Indio. In fact, you probibly pass the Cotton Wood Springs exit on your way over off of the I-10. I would guess that it would be no more than 45 minutes tops. We can talk about it there, but maybe a good idea for Saturday afternoon. There are some great rock trails.

I am going over on Saturday

Hi Rick,
I was planning to go over there on Saturday so you are more than welcome to come along. Let me know what time you are planing on going and let's meet up. There are a lot of nice trails in the area and would love some company out there hope to see you all this weekend

Sounds great Blayne. We'll see if anyone else will want to join us.

Cool Lets Plan for a 10:00 meeting

Hi Rick
Lets shoot for 10:00 at Cottonwood visitors center and we can go from there. Directions are easy from Truckhaven get on I-10 and take the 29 palms0Joshues Tree Exit. Got North into the park and the visitors center is 7 miles up the road

Aww, shucks!!

I'll be shopping and visiting in Tijuana/Rosarito, Baja, Mex. I really wanted to return to JT. The trails were so much fun. I really had a blast, and this was Suzanne's first trail run that she's actually wanted to be a part of. She also has spoken about how much fun this group of 'men' were. (Sorry, Becky!). Would you all be as polite if Suz brought out her mid-nasty, lifted YJ? We made it through Rockhouse in it...Just kidding! She doesn't like anything technical like those badass roads in the JT hills we did.
Blayne, wasn't that return route from Black Eagle Mine a blast? I had fun on the uphill portion of that road where I thought you ran out of traction. That road was mild, yet covered in damp rocks! Rockhouse was the trail of trails in the park. Maybe we can ride our Mountain Bikes on it sometime! [sarcasm] Talk soon everybody, and I hope to see you all out in JT soon.

Couple questions... Dan are you going to ride along with one of the "big dogs" or aren't there any tough trails?

Are there any gas stations in the area??

BROOKLYN JEEP TRAIL

Rick,

Brooklyn Jeep Trail is plenty of fun. You would have greatly enjoyed ROCKHOUSE, but it is closed. There is an alternate canyon that runs just off of Berdoo Canyon Road. It takes 33's/35's to scale the
waterfall, and the canyon contains plenty twists and ascents that will test your rigs articulation. If this one is Little Rockhouse, it is closed too, but I don't think that it is. Your gas stations will be at DILLON
ROAD in Indio. This is where you'll want to gas it up.

There Are Trail For Everyone

Hi Rick,
There are trails for everyone including the one I got stuck on which goes up the side of the a mountain. If you like rocks this is the trail. Where we are going there are a number of off shoot trails that are challanging so whatever you want we can find.Ken I am glad you had a good time it was fun out there and I only wish it were a bit warmer. When it started to snow I knew that it was cold. brrrrrr.
ANyway we'll have a lot of fun on the trails. Rick there are also a number of gold mines in the area and some of the trails getting to them can be real rough. The access road starts out boring and then gets more difficult as you progress. Saturday I would like us all to tril Brooklyn Mine Jeep trail. I have been up to the mine but have no idea about the climb out but it looks like it can be pretty difficult. Well we'll find out on Saturday

Gas Stations

Before you get into Joshua Tree you'll need to gas up there are no sgas stations even close to the area. Coming in from your way you can stop at Chirraco Summit which is the exit before the one you will be taking. The price is rediculous but they are the only game in town. The nearest one after chirraco summit is in Indio. I will probably ride along on some of the difficult trails especially the one I got stuck on. See you Saturday

How was the run?

I did the PAPAS & BEER thing down in Rosarito on Saturday, so I couldn't check out the trip to Joshua Tree. How did everyone like the trails there? I know it was supposed to rain all weekend, but thankfully it didn't. I'll try to make it out to LOS COYOTES in April, though - since Suzanne's younger [22] brother will be coming out to the West Coast for the first time, and he has *never* been on a mountain before! If this doesn't turn into a snow run, this should be an interesting run - I run All Terrains, not Snow Terrains...

Re: How was the run?

HEy guys i need some advice. I have a 2wd w/ a 4" lift and i want to take my X desert offroading where i do not need 4wd. I've never been offroading so i want something easy. Where are the good places to go? i'm from LA.

2WD X

There's several places that we like to go that do not require 4 wheel drive. We just got back from Guadalupe Canyon where the trail (err, road) was negotiable w/o low range, but most campsites required a little boulder clearance. Some locals from the Mexican town of Mexicali made it in with subcompact cars, but one of these vehicles [a Ford LTD] also required towing out of the sand. In Joshua Tree, there are several trails that can be covered w/o 4 low. Places like Berdoo Canyon Road can be covered in 2WD as can many more of the trails there. This park offers plenty of scenic driving and places to hop out and hike or ride your mountain bike, although you'd be better off waiting until late fall to do this due to the heat. Let us know if you're up for another run when we can all get together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: 2WD X

Originally posted by Ken Cooke
There's several places that we like to go that do not require 4 wheel drive. We just got back from Guadalupe Canyon where the trail (err, road) was negotiable w/o low range, but most campsites required a little boulder clearance. Some locals from the Mexican town of Mexicali made it in with subcompact cars, but one of these vehicles [a Ford LTD] also required towing out of the sand. In Joshua Tree, there are several trails that can be covered w/o 4 low. Places like Berdoo Canyon Road can be covered in 2WD as can many more of the trails there. This park offers plenty of scenic driving and places to hop out and hike or ride your mountain bike, although you'd be better off waiting until late fall to do this due to the heat. Let us know if you're up for another run when we can all get together.

Ok that sounds good. I have a friend with a 4runner who fix it up to head out also. where can i find information on these areas and a map.

Back