Rust and shock suggestions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust and shock suggestions

That looks like new thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea i know.
Ill prob just sand it off and put por 15 on it to seal it for now but its something i can look forward to as this is my project truck

Sawsall is your friend. Make room for bigger tires. :D

Yea,I know.It's just the rest of the truck is in great shape so I went ahead and had this spot fixed,I won't do it again.At least I won't pay for paint again,I will just have some body work done and then blast it with bed liner.:D

What you are looking for is replacement metal called "doglegs"
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/explorer.html
I replaced mine a few years back. You can lay them over the area or to do it correctly, you need to cut out and replace. not easy
I should have a few Pics of me doing it if you send me your e-mail address I'll dig them up and send them.
Did the rot work it's way to the Saddles in the back door? It will work it's way right up to the Door gasket line. These Doglegs go that far they also travel forward past the seam that's on the car now.. right where the rot stops. . This is extremely typical on these cars if you get snow.. Arizona cars don't get this

The rot isn't to the saddle
would i need the complete lower quarter panel 4dr

If you look, all that metal below the doors is there mostly for looks. You can actually chop it off just under the edge of the door jamb and then weld in a piece of 2x6 tubing for permanent sliders.

You'll gain some off-road clearance, and not have to worry about bashing the sheetmetal up into your doors, rendering them impossible to close.

You can also remove the sheetmetal behind the rear tires (just hangs there for decoration) and in front of the front tires (same deal). Then, if need be, you can also open up the diameter of the fenders by careful trimming as well -- enough to stuff 33s if you don't care about how far you trim.

Thanks guys that all looks good what are some suggestions for shocks:D

Depends what you want to spend and are you going to put a suspension lift on it? If you are putting a suspension lift I would get shocks sized to the lift. Monotube shocks are better than the standard type ones. Bilstiens are good shocks. There are other brands that are good also. Monroe, gabriel.. ect.. all the same. They do have heavy duty ones and they do make some monotube models. You could look on Rock Auto also for shocks. If you are going inexpensive just choose some heavy duty ones by any big manufacturer and enjoy.

Thanks Yea Those look good
My air cond just went out so im gonna get that fixed :(

Back