Rust by Seatbelt

MM07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
As I did my speaker overhaul I noticed some rust inside the car. It was by the rear seatbelt harness as it attaches to the frame in the back.

You should check yours and see. The plastic pieces pop off very easily.

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2821.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I did my speaker overhaul I noticed some rust inside the car. It was by the rear seatbelt harness as it attaches to the frame in the back.
This is not an issue. Every car ever manufactured has the same type of corrosion. Look under your dash and under the seats, you'll see the same type of rust spots. This is what un-painted metal does no matter what. Just leave it alone.

This type of rust is normal, and common. I would not think as common for a car only 1-2 years old. This looks like someone may have spilled water or some other liquid on it.

Is your spare tire well dry? Some earlier models had water leaks that ran down the 3rd row seat belt fixtures.

Peter

Seemed dry inside.

I'm checking this and my spare wheel area the min I get home!

This seems rather normal, I have seen this on all of my cars over the years.

Unless the worker that installed the part had real wet and/or sweaty hands, there just should not be that much rust in one isolated spot, unless something made it wet., look at the surrounding metal, it is spotless, same bare finish, but no rust.

Back