2014 seatbelt buckle and airbag warning light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 seatbelt buckle and airbag warning light

Tatsuo Okamoto

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer xlt
I am Tat Okamoto and new to this site.
My seatbelt buckle (female) in the back seat broke and need a replacement. Because of it, the airbag warning light came on. I used to ziggle the buckle a little and the warning light went off for a few weeks. Now the buckle is broken and can not get the light to go off. Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am Tat Okamoto and new to this site.
My seatbelt buckle (female) in the back seat broke and need a replacement. Because of it, the airbag warning light came on. I used to ziggle the buckle a little and the warning light went off for a few weeks. Now the buckle is broken and can not get the light to go off. Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum Tat.:wave:
Why not take it to the dealer to get fixed? The Safety Restraint System is covered for 5 years or 60k miles. I'm guessing a broken seat belt buckle would be part of that.
If the airbag warning light is ON, the air bag system is inoperative.

Peter

Bumping this older(but newer than others) thread because of a similar issue. I wasn't sure if I should post in this one or another.

My air bag light just came on yesterday. I did some searching here and tried to wiggle some of the wires under the driver and passenger seats with no change. I think mine is related to the driver's side seatbelt.

This morning I got in my Ex to head to work and the light was on. I wiggled the drive's buckle(after snapping the belt in) and the light went off, but when I wiggled it again, the light came back on. I wasn't able to replicate it again, so it could have been a coincidence.

I was still curious so I unbuckled my seatbelt(driver) and my seat belt light didn't come on and no chime. I cannot remember if the belt light would come on right away when the belt was unbuckled or not. I was driving down the road(I cannot remember what speed), but the vehicle was in "Drive" and I was moving.

Thoughts on if this sounds like it could be a buckle issue?
I'll play with it a little more on my drive home, but looking for some initial thoughts.

As much as I want to avoid the dealer, I'll probably bring it in to get checked out.
EDIT: After reviewing the warranty guide, looks like I'm still covered(just barely). I have right around 59K miles and less than 5 years. I assume the airbag light is part of the restraint system.

.....................................I was still curious so I unbuckled my seatbelt(driver) and my seat belt light didn't come on and no chime. I cannot remember if the belt light would come on right away when the belt was unbuckled or not. I was driving down the road(I cannot remember what speed), but the vehicle was in "Drive" and I was moving.
It takes the waning a little while to come on.

Peter

Well, I was mistaken on 2 items I stated. Peter is correct that it takes about a minute for the light to come on after I was moving. Also, the air bag light turns off for a few seconds after starting. It's on when I start it, goes out for a few seconds and then back on.

So, dealer trip it is. At least my dealer provides a loaner for any warranty or service work.

Back