rust repair/ prevention

jrowe6

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
pics will be up soon

ive got some major rust on the bottom of my passenger side, the drivers side is not as bad.

i had two spots develope last winter, just below the black plastic pieces on the front and rear door. so i figured it was just surface rust and took the little platic trim off the bottom and found the whole side is rusted up pretty darn bad, i whacked away alot of it but dont want to break it all away or i wont have anything to mount to.

an old friend of mine showed me some stuff that if i remember correctly was called formula 451, it was supposed to make rust turn back to metal, anyone heard of this?

also, my current plan is to use hardening foam to fill everything up, then sand it to shape, bondo it and repaint. sound good?

also going to use some of that rubber paint pretty much everywhere i can get it on the underside.

im not much of a body work guy so if there is a better method im all ears.

I haven't used that particular product but a similar product that you brush on rusted metal and it turns a purplish black color. It temporarily stops the rust but in a year, it always comes back. Steel + moisture = Rust. That's the only problem with using that expanding foam for body work, it holds moisture in all the little crevices. About the only thing that will hold the rust at bay is to keep oiling the metal surfaces or move to the southwest. You can brush oil on with a cheap bristle brush or squirt it through drilled holes in the doors or door posts. The original rustproofing holes have little plastic plugs that pop out if yours came so equipped.

Back