Rust

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
I know rust is one of those things you have to deal with, no way to stop it. Well maybe. I got some rusting on my 98 explorer, and my fog light mounting is really rusting up, same with my swaybar bushings. So I'm going to buy some new fog lights, and was wondering whats the best way to prevent, and/or stop rust. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Farmers will slather farm equipment with Linseed oil... I know people that spray the underside of their vehicles with it too.

Being from MI, if all you're dealing with is rusting brackets and sway bar bushing mounts, consider yourself blessed! :)

You can stop rust easy if you oil spray the bottom of you truck once per year. Lots of companies in my area do this for a fee, or you can do it yourself. Undercoating oil will last the longest, but any oil will do. Has the benefit that your bolts come off easy any time you do work on the truck.

Monarch005.jpg

019.jpg

you could always coat the underside with bed liner

in theory it should stop rust too since it stops the rust from receiving oxygen.

I usually dont worry about rust unless it's on my body because there's no way to stop it here in michigan

but I did sandblast por15 then paint in rust encapsulator then bed line the back side of my bumpers, they havent rusted since

Bedliner or Zeibart or any other product will eventually trap moisture under it and will cause more rust. They will crack over time and water get up under it. I have seen this with my own eyes. Also makes the vehicle horrible to work on as sockets won't fit on the fasteners without being scraped off.

Bedliner or Zeibart or any other product will eventually trap moisture under it and will cause more rust. They will crack over time and water get up under it. I have seen this with my own eyes. Also makes the vehicle horrible to work on as sockets won't fit on the fasteners without being scraped off.

This is true. Applying coating over rust can sometimes make the problem worse. Every drive in the winter salt is like painting your car with a coat of rust.

actually bedliner wont crack and as for trapping moisture... that's why you use the por15 and encapsulator first, they prevent moisture

as for you other arguments, just have to be careful where you apply it and how thick

Well, looks like you have found the cure for automotive rusting. Funny no one has thought of it before.

Why don't you go into business; you can make a fortune...

POR 15 will stop rust permanently if you do it right.It will NOT allow moisture to seep through it and once it cures you can beat it with a hammer.Exposure to moisture actually strengthens it.

But it's damn expensive.Bedliner sprayed over it would simply be another coating and it wouldn't matter if the bedlining did crack,the moisture wouldn't effect the POR 15 under it.

The thing is POR 15 is completely different then paint or rustproofing and bonds permanently to rusted metal.:D

And here in the states I don't think the oil spray would be legal.Depending on the oil used,of course but it would be interesting to see if anyone has seen this here as a business.

There are lots of private guys doing oil spraying on their vehicle in the US on other forums. As for commercial places, I only have heard of Rust Check in the US, but their may be others. Texaco makes a rust proofing product that can be sprayed on as well.

I have not used POR, but wonder why put the spray on bed-coating if POR is going to stop the rust? I have never heard of a commercial place that uses POR to stop rust in an automotive application. I think I will stick with my $5 worth of drip less undercoating applied each year. I have not had a vehicle rust for over 30 years with this method, so it is time proved and inexpensive to boot.

The nice thing about POR 15 is that you can coat a rusty part and it stops it dead forever,but.....it's $40+ a quart so it's best for things like my 94's lower panels.The paint is thin and surface rust is starting to show,just give it a brush with a wire brush,wipe with paint thinner to clean it and paint over it.

Done deal,it cures and never rusts again and is damn tough and flexible.The other thing I have seen is guys who build muscle cars and rods will do a frame off and coat the frame.Never have to touch it again.But it's too expensive to spray on like undercoating,you would have to at least clean the surface of all grease and oil.

The oil you use,is it a petroleum base or something else? I have never seen anything like it.:D

I undercoated my car, but over 12 years it wore off... I should probably undercoat it again. Should i scrap off the surface rust on the frame, or use some POR 15 on it before i undercoat it?

my suggestion on the frame is ti wire wheel it and por 15 before you undercoat it

unless you want to go nuts and strip it down and have it powdercoated

really soda blasting is probably the very best and most involved way to go

but hell for what it is just wire brush it and seal it

Just wire brush the loose rust off,clean it with a degreaser of some kind then paint it with the POR 15,it will take 24+ hrs to cure.It's a chemical bond not a paint really so you want to make sure you are not painting over old rustproofing or dirt as it won't hold.:D

Back