• Register Today It's free!

Safari Racks?

Mainfraim

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
I'm looking at something to upgrade the rack system on a '94 and I saw the Thule basket carrier and it looks awesome, but my only problem is that I don't want it to sit too tall off of the roof. I think it would look kind of funny being really high up. Does anyone have one of these with pictures, or know anything about it?

Here is the link to it.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check this out...... looks OK to me.... not too talll and installs to an original factory roof rack....

Dead Link Removed

This probably doesn't apply, but if you live in a "downtown" area with parking decks, watch out for the 7' Clearance signs. I do a lot of jobs in downtown Richmond, Va, and whenever I go into one of those decks, I have to take the ladder of the roof rack and walk it in. You may have the same height problem with a safari rack. Like I said, it probably doesn't apply, but it is practical info.

I work in a downtown area and the parking garage that I park in is 6'10" clearance and I have no problem with my safari rack. I even had 2 KC daylighters on it before and still fit in the garage.

What kind of rack do you have? My only problem is not the garages. I don't care about those. My only problem is that I don't want it to look funny if it sits too tall being on TOP of the roof rack bars.

I just don't want it to look stupid. :rolleyes:

ok what size can I fit! I have a moon roof... but I want a big long rack... surco says i can fit 45x60 is that right? I wish there was a 45x55

Here is a picture of mine. It isn't the best quality in the world. I hooks to the cross members of the roof rack. I use it with my High lift and a 31" spare all the time. Works great and it isn't high at all, looks about right to me anyways.

Happy trails!!

Attachments

• im000229-1.jpg
    im000229-1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 254

Check out Yakima

I've seen the Yakima Load Warrior on Ex's and it looks ok (better than the Thule IMO). I think the height of most baskets is relatively standard.

I'm picking one up for mine later today and if you want I'll snap a picture and can email it to you.

I have the surco one on mine and if i recall it is the 45x60..can't remember right now bought it a while ago. It doesn't sit really high off of the X and I think it looks great. I don't have mine to the stock roof bars i ordered the set with them b/c of the stock bars can't hold as much weight as the bars that you can order with the rack.

brian since you have what I want, can you tell me what to order and where to order it? thanks

I ordered mine from performance products.

here is mine. it sits too high using the yakima mounts on the rail-riders, but lizardtrac has the same one on factory rails and it looks good. I just inverted the yakima mounts and it dropped a couple inches. Just beware if you haul a tire I have heard ***** stories of the ford rails breaking.
clean.jpg

I couldn't find it on the website for performance products but I found one here
http://www.accessconnect.com/safari.htm
CLick on that and scroll down and they have them for your X.

surco safari rack
40"x50" $164.95
45"x50" $167.95

For the roof mounts
CH100 - Channel roof adapter $38.95

Hope this helps

depending on what you want I would say the Surco is the better buy if you just haul stuff. I got the yakima since I haul mountain bikes too.

Also forgot to put in my last post that the rails are separate to on that site.

taxxman, that looks like what I want to do. I looked at the Yakima ones, but I kind of liked the Thule ones since they're silver. This is mostly for looks anyways. If they ride okay on factory rails, maybe I'll just do that. I'll have to look up lizardtrac's X and see if there are any pictures of it.

btw, nice install taxxman, i like the box.

thanks for the info guys.

Not to far off the subject but I just wwant one to carry luggage on top of the truck. Is the stock rails good enough for that with a black surco rack?

Mainfraim - Thx

jt1970m - I think stock is rated at 100lbs. I may be wrong, but for lugage you should be fine. Others have run with tires up there no problem, I just don't think I would risk it.

Back