• Register Today It's free!

Safari Rack

V8powerbaby

Reaction score
City, State
Altus,OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 V8 XLT
So i am going to have some time on my hands the next few days and was thinking about making my own safari rack. I was just thinking of a few things

1. How have others mounted there self made racks?

2. Do the safari racks that you can buy extend out past the original mounts?

I plan on making this out of 1" square tubing and want to extend it out to about the middle of the front doors just haveing troubles figureing out if the roof will support the weight on the 1" needed to make it. Thnaks for the help guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried searching? There have been a few threads from years back.

My brother made me one in his advanced metals class. We decided to use the stock rails, and my roof on my sport supports it fine.

28br6o8.jpg
In the process, good picture

1zygp4.jpg
It kinda kinked alittle but nothing bad enough to notice from a distance

ioopb8.jpg
He left plenty of room to be able to strap down a cooler in front of my spare tire too

Going to get sand blastered this weekend then off to the powdercoaters!!
If you need the blue prints to the pieces he milled for the rackrails, let me know..:) THe whole rack slides off as one piece, rather easily too

thank axial thats a good looking rack you have there. mine wont have the bent pipe due to well me not haveing a pipe bender lol. have you had any kind of heavy loads on it. and i would like to see those blue prints for mounting it on your already exsisting rack. if you need my email PM me

The only loads I've had up on it is the spare and myself, I've stood up on it and laid on it to tighten it down. I'm short so I couldn't get it tight while standing on the ground. But yea, send me you're email, and when my brother gets back Sunday I'll see if I can get the blueprints sent to you. It's quite simple

The only loads I've had up on it is the spare and myself, I've stood up on it and laid on it to tighten it down. I'm short so I couldn't get it tight while standing on the ground. But yea, send me you're email, and when my brother gets back Sunday I'll see if I can get the blueprints sent to you. It's quite simple

That's a sick rack, dude, mad props to your brother for that, no doubt! I have no metal working skills at all, so I'm just gonna end up going with a Surco S4550 Safari Rack with a ST100 Tire Mount. Woohoo, another $250+ down the drain :/

Hey, you do what you can do, with what you're given.

Hey, you do what you can do, with what you're given.

Heck yeah, dude, I just wish I knew someone in a metal-working class that could hook me up! :D

Back