safe to use 4x4 high on the highway? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

safe to use 4x4 high on the highway?

dem22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport
this is my first winter and in my ford i have 2wd, 4x4 high and 4x4 low, i'm wondering if its safe to use 4x4 high on the highway and in the city as well during the winter? somebody told me i shouldnt use it on paved surfaces because i could destroy something?
thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 wont help you in normal icy driving,
If anything you will lose control quicker.

I am afraid I can't totally agree with that.

I do however brake with my left foot, now that does make a difference even with ABS.

I do however brake with my left foot, now that does make a difference even with ABS.

Only makes a differance on the third Friday in a leap year. :confused:

With my first gen ex, I used to use 4 wheel drive on the highway if needed. That usally means that driving alot less than the post speed due to the weather (snow storms). If you can drive at the posted speed safely, i'm sure you do not need your 4x4 engaged on the highway.

Also, ice is slippery no matter how many wheels you have spinning.

Only makes a differance on the third Friday in a leap year. :confused:

It's a bit of a juggling act, trying to keep the wheels turning just a little, but very gently, so it is possible to move in the prefered direction.

We get a lot of ice and snow, snow is the easy bit.

I used 4High in my 00 F150 on the highway. I didn't go over 40-45 though due to conditions (and that may have been too quick but no one else was around :D)

From what I've heard, it's not a good idea to use 4x4 on dry pavement - atleast when making turns.

-Melon

It is not advised to use 4wd on the highway. You'll bind the drivetrain. Its one thing to use it to get moving if your stuck. Since you have shift on the fly with the 2002, if your stuck, you can just throw it into 4HI to get moving then shift into 2WD once your moving.

If there is snow/ice on the ground it's fine, don't use 4wd on dry or wet pavement though.

somebody told me i shouldnt use it on paved surfaces because i could destroy something?

From what I've heard, it's not a good idea to use 4x4 on dry pavement - atleast when making turns.

Correct... Using 4high on any high-traction surface (dry pavement, wet pavement, packed gravel, asphalt, etc.) can and does cause driveline bind-up. If the freeway or paved surface is under several inches of snow, using 4high won't hurt a thing (and, IMHO, that would be the BEST time to use 4high!)

It is not advised to use 4wd on the highway. You'll bind the drivetrain. Its one thing to use it to get moving if your stuck. Since you have shift on the fly with the 2002, if your stuck, you can just throw it into 4HI to get moving then shift into 2WD once your moving.

Huh??? Seriously? If it's not a high-traction surface, how, exactly, is the driveline going to bind?

If there is snow/ice on the ground it's fine, don't use 4wd on dry or wet pavement though.

Ditto. :thumbsup::)

Read your owner's manual. It explains it quite well in there, and yet is an often-overlooked source of information. :)

Yeah if you need to use 4high on the highway just dont go above like 55 (if you can go that fast then you shouldnt be in 4x4 anyway) The 4x4 binds when making turns in 4x4 on dry surfaces because you have traction and basically during a turn the outer wheel is traveling at a different speed than the inside wheel which causes binding=not good on the front drivetrain. When it is slick there is less traction so not so much binding during turns.
4x4 on the highway is only really good if your going slow through thick snow as it just helps you to keep driving through it. If you hit ice 4x4 isnt much help when your already at speed.

I am afraid I can't totally agree with that.

Funny thing about that, I know in Indiana at least it's illegal to drive an automatic transmission equipped vehicle like that. The law says you have to use one foot.

Not that they will catch you, but I think there are reasons for the law. Probably because some people who drive like that tend to ride the brakes, rendering brake lights useless when they are on all the time. Not to mention the extra wear on the brakes. And believe me, I've followed more than one person who does this and you have to pay a lot more attention since you don't know when they are slowing down.

I do agree. It doesn't matter what your driving when it comes to ice on a highway, what matters is your speed, weight of your vehicle and proper tires. I would not use 4 wheel drive at all on ice and it's one reason I need to do the brown wire mod on my 4x4 auto. Once your front tires start to spin you have lost all control of your steering and you will go whereever your momentum is going. If you do need to use 4x4 to get moving then do not let your tires spin, go as slow as it takes to keep the tires from spinning.

I use 4High everytime I go up the mountain to go skiiing. 4High loves unplowed roads. Max speed that conditions allow is about 40mph.

*There's always some jerk in a Subaru with summer tires passing on the right going 60 though!

It's been said. Using 4x4 anywhere is fine as long as the ground is slippery. No dry/wet pavement.
4x4 does help on ice, but does not help you stop or steer. Just helps to get moving.
I've used 4x4 up to (above 60). Especially pulling a trailer in snow on a big open freeway. Take a lot to keep everything moving through the snow, and the rear end would constantly try to slide around in 2wd. When I go (or used to in Oregon) up the mountain to go snowboarding I use 4x4 after I hit enough snow that the ground is completely covered.

I have a 2001 Sport. Can I safely shift from 4HI to 2WD once moving, or do I have to stop, put it in neutral, and then shift from 4HI to 2WD?

you got shift on the fly your golden.. you can flip that I personally slow down or no faster then 20 I don't need to break something.... and I use my 2 hi when I'm doing everything because 4wd doesn't keep your back end from slippin out or help you stop?? whats the point..

The best thing you can do is whatever speed your thinking about going.. 40.. 50.... 60!? hope not 60... slow it down 10 and you'll slip a whole lot less and get some decent tires and don't drive like the subaru jerks do..

Not sure whr u live but I grew up in Northern Ohio and we usually got a good amount of snow there. That being said, I grew up driving 4wd. The biggest problem, as stated above, is with 4wd engaged you will get binding when you turn on high traction surfaces due to the wheels that are locked together are turning at different speeds in a turn.
For the most part I am sure that the higways and city streets should be cleared enough for 2wd. Now you may need 4wd getting out of your driveway or 4low if you end up off the road but other than that 2wd will get u there. The most important thing, IMHO, is get a good set of traction tires, slow down and keep distance between u and the other cars. That will help the most. Most people end up off the road while breaking and sliding, 4wd wont help you there :). Get some good tires, head to an empty parking lot and "play" around a bit to get a feel for handling in light snow in 2wd. Use ur 4wd to get out of unplowed driveways, secondary roads where the snow is a few inches deep and you wont be turning much and if you cant get going after you stop (just swap bk to 2wd when you get going).
4low is for off road or your butt is stuck in an butt ton of snow.

Now- how about ControlTrac? I've always wondered how quickly it will react when the truck is moving. I know that from a stop it is nearly instantaneous, but what about under speed? Like highway?

Any worth in using it? I usually click it on because it makes me feel more secure...

I don't care to bury Snowball in a snowbank. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have very good tires but in 2wd on slick roads my back tires spin real easy . This is my first winter with my used 2001 Explorer Sport . It seems to be light in the rear end because even taking off slow the rear wheels spin so I have been shifting to 4high till I get moving and then shifting back to 2 wheel drive . This seems to work well for me but I don't know if it is hard on the transmission . I had a Chevy S10 Blazer before this and rarely used 4x4 . I don't know if the Explorer is lighter in the back end then the Blazer I had or why the rear tires spin so easily in 2wd . Any advice ??? Is it OK to keep shifting back and forth from 2wd to 4wd ?

Back