Safety Recall 22S27 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safety Recall 22S27

This is the NHTSA site. If you have the FordPass app you can check there too.

Ok. My VIN is not on the NHTSA site and shows invalid VIN on the Ford site maybe because I have not taken delivery or completed the purchase?

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I put my VIN it says "invalid VIN" ! I've typed it in several ways making sure there are no extra or weird characters and it still shows that error. Vehicle has been activated correctly in FordPass so I have no idea why it would show that.
NHTSA shows no recall yet.
Can you access Ford Pass from a computer? The way I did it from there I copy and pasted my vin number into the Ford recall page.

Can you access Ford Pass from a computer? The way I did it from there I copy and pasted my vin number into the Ford recall page.
Good idea - I'll try that.

Lucky me - I'm a "one bolter"! 2.3 though. Don't think Ford will do any retrofit for us.
I have a 2.3L Limited 4wd waiting for pickup at the dealer and got a text yesterday that it is on hold due to missing parts.

I have a 2.3L Limited 4wd waiting for pickup at the dealer and got a text yesterday that it is on hold due to missing parts.
Wonder if they will tell you what parts and how long. 🤔

Wonder if they will tell you what parts and how long. 🤔
The service manager in the town I live in stated that they are just waiting for Ford to provide them the download so they can reprogram the vehicle. I checked with other Ford dealerships in nearby towns and they had the same story.

The service manager in the town I live in stated that they are just waiting for Ford to provide them the download so they can reprogram the vehicle. I checked with other Ford dealerships in nearby towns and they had the same story.
So it's not really "parts" - it's going to be that ridiculous software tweak to the power control module. That doesn't fix the fact that there is only one bolt instead of two. From what others have said it's to make the PCM put a limit on acceleration so it won't stress the one bolt that is there. Ford is going to actually put another bolt on Police Interceptors but not for the rest of us. 🤨

Seems ridiculous that the "fix" for improperly designed fastener / load handling structure is new software. I'm guessing the "fixed" vehicles will have now have less torque. My ST doesn't appear to be in the date range shown, and had the "proper" two bolt subframe.

New safety recall for the fracturing bolts on the rear sub frame. It also stops the sale of all new Explorers for now.
wtf is wrong with engineers bolts on rear they only have since ww2 heaver loads faster roads more powerful trucks and they use light duty bolts to save what 1 cent. time to fire the people who makes theses engineering errors. whether it the engineer or the corporate been counter
and the idiots who canceled the chip orders back in 2020 for what was not even a full quarter of lower sales need to be fired by stockholders
also they need to get fired for continuing to use 1980 designed chips . instead of having 1 modern computer system they have 12 or more
imo thats like trying to run windows 10 on a 8088 or 8086 thats a reson the modern info centers which are new tech dont play well with the car

Seems ridiculous that the "fix" for improperly designed fastener / load handling structure is new software. I'm guessing the "fixed" vehicles will have now have less torque. My ST doesn't appear to be in the date range shown, and had the "proper" two bolt subframe.
You are indeed fortunate.

If that was mine I would install the AWR brace from Whoosh Motorsports. It would give a lot of peace of mind.
I'm wondering if in the Ford weirdness of thinking if something like this would void any recall fix? I certainly would do this for the peace of mind you mention.

I'm wondering if in the Ford weirdness of thinking if something like this would void any recall fix? I certainly would do this for the peace of mind you mention.
Well I can't say for sure but I don't see how. We do have the Moss Magnuson to back us up.

Here's another few items to add to the weirdness. Here are a few screen grabs from the Ford Explorer Manual

There are two views of the rear subframe - one with two bolts and one with one bolt. Go figure.

Rear Subframe w one bolt.jpg Rear Subframe w two bolts highlighed.jpg

Hello...new member over here, been lurking for awhile now, have a 22 XLT on order, but since this recall was posted, I'm curious about something that may or may not have been brought up

Will orders that haven't been started for production, get the parts installed, or do you think they'll be shipped w/out the part, and given the software upgrade at some point

I guess because mine is "only 2.3L" I'm safe?? Omg, this keeps getting so bad. With enough bad press, maybe Ford will actually make things right for ALL Explorers and not just the higher horsepower versions. I know I won't feel safe towing anything other than my bike rack!

I guess because mine is "only 2.3L" I'm safe?? Omg, this keeps getting so bad. With enough bad press, maybe Ford will actually make things right for ALL Explorers and not just the higher horsepower versions. I know I won't feel safe towing anything other than my bike rack!
I just got a call from the dealership and was told that Ford is going to "add the missing bolt" to my 2.3L Limited 4wd, but that Ford is prioritizing parts based on purchase date. I'm not sure if they are trying to get the deal closed this month, but they asked when I could come in and finalize the purchase so they can get "my" Explorer that is sitting on their lot fixed.

Anyone else have this experience? Maybe not too many people with Explorers that were ordered and now sitting on the lot unsellable? I guess the good news is that I'm being told that the 2.3L is going to get the missing part.

Rick

I just got a call from the dealership and was told that Ford is going to "add the missing bolt" to my 2.3L Limited 4wd, but that Ford is prioritizing parts based on purchase date. I'm not sure if they are trying to get the deal closed this month, but they asked when I could come in and finalize the purchase so they can get "my" Explorer that is sitting on their lot fixed.

Anyone else have this experience? Maybe not too many people with Explorers that were ordered and now sitting on the lot unsellable? I guess the good news is that I'm being told that the 2.3L is going to get the missing part.

Rick
Your dealer does not know what they are talking about, You can not just add a bolt you have to change the subframe. The 2.3L all had the 3 bolt (1 Rear bolt) sub frame. There is no official fix other than the documented posted about the PCM program.

Rick
I went by my local ford dealership, to check and see if all the explorers on the lot were missing the bolt, sure enough all of them were missing it. I noticed a couple with a build date as recently as of 4/1.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your dealer does not know what they are talking about, You can not just add a bolt you have to change the subframe. The 2.3L all had the 3 bolt (1 Rear bolt) sub frame. There is no official fix other than the documented posted about the PCM program.
at this point, I may start looking at other vehicles, I'm not getting the vehicle that I paid for. I added the tow option, not sure if that makes a difference at all

Back