SAGGING SPORT! HELP! Leaf Spring Questions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAGGING SPORT! HELP! Leaf Spring Questions?

96XSport

Reaction score
City, State
OC, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Expo Sport
I use a trailer hitch rack for my dirtbike and as of right now all my Sport has is a 2 inch TT and 31" tires. So as you can imagine the truck looks very Prerunner, or as some of you guys put it, "sagging." When I have my dirtbike on the back the rack is abut 12 inchs off the ground and I can't get out of my driveway without leaving my mark on the street. I think some leaf packs off a 4-door will fix this. I have a few questions.

I have heard a few different things. I have heard you need to use a 2 inch AAL on 4-Door leaf pack for a Mono-Leaf Sport to acheive the true 2 inch lift. I have also heard that the Leaf Pack gives you 2 inchs of lift WITHOUT the AAL when you swap it out. Also, will I need the longer shock from Pro Comp if I only use the Leaf Pack WITHOUT the AAL, I do know you need to use the longer shock WITH the AAL, but do you need the longer shock for JUST the 4-door leaf pack on the sport? How much lift with the just the leaf pack will I get and how much lift with I get with the leaf pack and AAL? Can anyone confirm this for me? I am heading out to the junk yard tomorrow. Thanks a lot guys. -Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup just replace those crappy monoleafs with a set from a 4 door. You won't need longer shocks at all but I highly recommend replacing them if you have stock ones..

Ya, I have ProComp ES9000 Shocks on it right now. I think they'll do the job. So how much lift am i looking at with just the 4-door leaf packs, NO AAL?

-Jeff

There are LOTS of threads through the years on this very subject. Try a search and you'll see. I just scored a set of 4-leafs for my '00 Sport. Haven't put them on yet, but it seems like a great way to go. I haven't experienced much sag, but it's a different story when my wife and I have our mountain bikes on the hitch rack and we're loaded up for a road trip. ;)

i got a pair of 4-door leafs for $100 total, threw them on in about 2 hours. it works perfectly, it leaveled out the car and i do not scrap anymore with the bike on the back! woo hoo! i love explorers!

Back