SAS steering issues/advice needed

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
So my wallet has reached that point where expensive upgrades have to stop and instead I gotta make the best with what I've got..

quick run-down, EB44 swapped front with coils, RAs, 78-9 RA brackets, 7* C bushings, trac bar, rod end and tube steering.

Camber is good, toe is good, i know the caster is off.. has to be as the wheel returns to center just not as it should. No death wobble, no hard jerks while steering like a bad pump or air in the lines or anything like that. What I do have is play in the wheel while driving. Steering wheel never has been 100% centered but while driving the wheel has some play, i can move it a little to the left as an example and the truck wont jerk left but will track left. Lotttssss of correcting the steering while driving. If someone other than me drives they go crazy.

So what can/should/am I gonna do? I dont have a trailer and tow rig so I gotta drive this hunk of junk to rides/parks/the grocery store/etc.. I hate to throw money at stuff to cover up the real problem. I know a stabilizer shock would help, but whats the root of my problem? Caster? Before buying my house I had planned on a narrowed HP44 and have the Cs cut and adjusted to correct the caster but that sorta fell to the wayside with the rest of my funds.

I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions.. so lets hear it, err.. read it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Define "toe is good"? Do you have an alignment printout? that would be most helpfull. Also try adjusting the steering box to take up some of the slack. dont over adjust it though, 1/8th turn at a time. If all else fails, bring it to My shop in VA and we will get her straighened out

had the truck aligned at a reputable local shop ive been dealing with since i started driving and the toe was corrected from where I had installed the steering.

ashburn is little over 3 hours away.. im actually close to there when I got to capon bridge and big dogs offroad in gore. plan on being that way a couple times this year also to help with the new Chaos Offroad Park.

had the truck aligned at a reputable local shop ive been dealing with since i started driving and the toe was corrected from where I had installed the steering.

ashburn is little over 3 hours away.. im actually close to there when I got to capon bridge and big dogs offroad in gore. plan on being that way a couple times this year also to help with the new Chaos Offroad Park.

Aligned and aligned correctly are different. And if you were correctly aligned your steering wheel would be centered. But I would try adjusting the box first

Maybe I will see you at those places!! I plan on visit them this summer. I'd like to hit up the cove at least 3-4 times for camping and wheeling

had this pos at 5 different shops over its lifespan and no one could ever get the steering wheel straight..

I'll take your advice on adjusting the box.. thanks!

I'm usually at the sept. Main Jambo or the Oct. Fall Crawl

What box are you running? what are you using for a steering shaft? I just got rid of a ton of play in my steering shaft set up.

stock shaft and box... once in a while I get a knock when turning the wheel at a stop. read some threads that pointed to the gearbox or steering shaft.

thanks for the responses guys!

Check the rag joint on the steering shaft. It's probably torn.

Back