School Bus driver stories? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

School Bus driver stories?

OK, So I becamse a School bus driver like 5 months ago and have seen so many whooops stories it's not even funny. I figure it might be a good place for us BD's to tell some stories. But...If the mods think it should go somewhere else, that's fine. Not that I can do anything.

So, My favorite at the moment wasn't an accident, just a jerk. I was pulling in to the High school in the morning to drop off the kiddies. When we drop off/Pick up we pull diagnolly across the one way drive in the rear of the school. NO parents allowed, just Staff. So, I pull up and notice this nice Jaguar coming toward me in the road, just before the road turns into a one way. I kept going and didn't back down (It's a one way remember) then pulled across the road like I do every day, blocking the road completely (it's a safety thing).

He came up closer to my bus and looked as though he was going to try and make it past me. He stopped, I'm pretty sure he tried to tell me something, but I was making sure the kids were getting off saftely (it's my job). So, he backs up to the entrance of the staff parking lot, which is in the middle of our bus circle/Oneway area. As he turns in the parking lot, He flips me the finger (nothing out of the ordinary) and pulls into the other oneway road and pulls across, blocking the whole road. I finish dropping off the kids (he he he. Not those kids. Actual ones) and start to turn around which brings me to mr Jaguar.

He stays thier for a while and then jets off. He was kind enough to wait along for me to get his LIcense plate. YAY! I turned him in . The cops couldn't do anything, but It made my day. His car was registered to a news station around town. People like that frustrate me. The think they know everything about driving but don't. I could go into a rand about what BD's go through and how much we actually have to know, But I'll spare it.

So, let's hear it.

Not a Bus Driver, But Search and Rescue personell

I cant tell you all the bullspit I've seen. Since the March 1st Tornado, our high school has been working out of the local Junior College. There is a main one way road that leads to a back road. Go left takes you to the highway go right takes you to downtown junction. So its a 2 lane to speed things up. Well The right lane is specifically for making right turns. The left is specifically for making left turns or going straight.

My friend was in a left lane going straight when a 04' Explorer (poor xplorer) cut him off making a left turn(facing him) at the same time. My friend swerved to avoid her but she slammed into him flipping over. She was going 45 in a 15 and failed to stop. At the time I didn't know of the crash until I came upon the turnoff. I pulled over to the side but they already had taken care of everything. My friend lost his vehicle (a 97 Mazda Protege' with Custom exhaust and Custom tuned engine) and of course Mrs. Lady lost her Explorer suffering only minor injuries. THANKFULLY.

I drove a bus for a year in 1989. I wouldn't want to do this again. The people don't care if you stop with your flashing lights on. They curse, scream, give you the finger, and try to cut around you while the kids are getting out (just missing the kids with their impatience). One time the bus broke down in the middle of a really big street with 8 lanes as I was crossing it, and the cars just kept going around me! I was afraid that somebody would ram into me. Not even one cop came along. I sat for a few minutes, and I tried to start it up again. Sure enough, it started up. I managed to get it across before it stalled out again. This was at a time before I had a cell phone. I couldn't get out in the middle of a street like this, and leave the bus there full of kids to try to look for a phone. Another time the bus broke down on a 4 lane street. The alternator died. Some tow truck came along. I had them connect the bus, and the kids piled up into the tow truck! He made the rounds to drop everybody off safely. It was at the end of the route, so there were only a few kids. These tow trucks only have one bench seat, so we were squashed like a bunch of sardines in a can.

They curse, scream, give you the finger, and try to cut around you while the kids are getting out (just missing the kids with their impatience).

New Yorkers? Impatient? What a surprise. :p::D

Back