SCT tuning problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SCT tuning problem

MtlexSport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hello All, Just purchased my 2014 Explorer Sport. I bought a new X4 SCT tuner. When I opened the box, I did a wifi update right away since the computer didn't see the tuner right away. ( viewed the video on youtube to fix this later on). when I came to plug the tuner in the truck it gave me a 110AE error update needed. Went back in and tried to upgrade again but it told me that everything was already up to date. Right now, I'm trying to figure things out with SCT but I was wondering if anyone ever encoutered this problem before?

Been lurking here a while before buying my truck and always found that everybody is pretty knowledgeable ( sorry for my english, my first language id french!! ;) )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum MtlexSport.:wavey:
I'm going to take a wild guess that you're from Montreal.:) I don't have the answer you're looking for but I'm sure there will be a member or two that can help you. No problem at all with the 'English' in your post. In fact it was easier to read then some I've come across.:thumbsup:

Peter

Hello All, Just purchased my 2014 Explorer Sport. I bought a new X4 SCT tuner. When I opened the box, I did a wifi update right away since the computer didn't see the tuner right away. ( viewed the video on youtube to fix this later on). when I came to plug the tuner in the truck it gave me a 110AE error update needed. Went back in and tried to upgrade again but it told me that everything was already up to date. Right now, I'm trying to figure things out with SCT but I was wondering if anyone ever encoutered this problem before?

Been lurking here a while before buying my truck and always found that everybody is pretty knowledgeable ( sorry for my english, my first language id french!! ;) )

I have the same vehicle and same SCT X4 tuner. I havent seen that exact error but I have had errors with my X4. The SCT X4 seems to get updated almost weekly, everytime I power it up I manually check for updates and it often says there's a new update available. Usually they are big files too.

Sometimes there are updates you do while you're X4 is connected to your computer through the USB/macro USB cable and the updates are through the LiveWire software you downloaded off the SCT website.

The SCT customer service is very good they will walk you through it or log on your computer and do it remotely for you. No issues at all with their service.

I have learned my lesson the hard way too. Forget about updating the firmware on the x4-forever!

You might have to call sct in Orlando for an RMA number before you return it to them. Atleast you didnt have a tune in your car after this happened. They will probably replace your X4 with a new one.

Good luck!

Buzz

This should be simple to fix. What you are experiencing is your device needs an additional update to flash your car.

First, you've already received the error for "additional update required". Next, take the device to your computer and connect it. Open SCT device updater and click "automatically check for updates". You should see the updater download a few files on the bottom progress bar, and then a pop up appears once complete, telling you the necessary files have been loaded, you can now tune your vehicle. Now you can take the device out to the vehicle and tune it.

Basically what is happening is this. To save space and speed up the device, we dont store every stock file for every vehicle on the device. So what the device does the first time is read the vehicles info (strategy and stuff) and makes a note inside. When you connect to updater and check for the update, the software looks at that note, and see's what files are needed to tune the vehicle. Then it loads those files and allows you to flash.

If you still have trouble for some reason, then give tech support a call. 407-774-2447. They are there M-F 9am-6pm EST.

This should be simple to fix. What you are experiencing is your device needs an additional update to flash your car. I work for SCT and spent some years in tech, I know what I'm talking about.

First, you've already received the error for "additional update required". Next, take the device to your computer and connect it. Open SCT device updater and click "automatically check for updates". You should see the updater download a few files on the bottom progress bar, and then a pop up appears once complete, telling you the necessary files have been loaded, you can now tune your vehicle. Now you can take the device out to the vehicle and tune it.

Basically what is happening is this. To save space and speed up the device, we dont store every stock file for every vehicle on the device. So what the device does the first time is read the vehicles info (strategy and stuff) and makes a note inside. When you connect to updater and check for the update, the software looks at that note, and see's what files are needed to tune the vehicle. Then it loads those files and allows you to flash.

If you still have trouble for some reason, then give tech support a call. 407-774-2447. They are there M-F 9am-6pm EST.

Problem is...... I do connect the SCT X4 to the computer.. I do click on automatically check for updates. The SCT flash program tells me that I dont need an update... I go back to the car and the 110AE error updates required commes back....

Ok, then you will need to give tech support a call. Chances are your vehicle being a 2015, needs to be added to the updates.

Send me a PM with your vehicle information and I will see what I can do. Use the device to "read vehicle info" and send me that. I'll find out what needs to be done.

Once you get the line, problem solved in 8 minutes. Remotely logged into my computer downloaded a specific file for my strategy into the tuner and hop!! connected right away truck is tuned and pulling like hell on wheels!!! Thanks SCT!! :D

Once you get the line, problem solved in 8 minutes. Remotely logged into my computer downloaded a specific file for my strategy into the tuner and hop!! connected right away truck is tuned and pulling like hell on wheels!!! Thanks SCT!! :D

I'm glad you got it taken care of. That tune is beast!

I'm glad you got it taken care of. That tune is beast!

So with the SCT you don't 'order up' a tune from Torrie based on mods your car has? It logs its own parameters and selects a stored tune? I am very tech limited and get intimidated by just about anything electrical,:( probably why my SCT is still in the box and I'm running an LMS tune that is sooty rich and hesitates when the weather is over 85degrees out. I've been very pleased with it in our California 'winter' Pulls awesome when its 50 degrees out:thumbsup:

When you purchase the SCT uner, you have basic relativily safe and generic tune. With SCt you have the luxury of adding custom tune made by someone Else. Torrie is one of them. You can purchase a tune wich is "made" specifically for you truck, or you can even go on a dyno and the tuner really tunes the truck on the dyno with the number he sees. Hope this helps.

When you purchase the SCT uner, you have basic relativily safe and generic tune. With SCt you have the luxury of adding custom tune made by someone Else. Torrie is one of them. You can purchase a tune wich is "made" specifically for you truck, or you can even go on a dyno and the tuner really tunes the truck on the dyno with the number he sees. Hope this helps.

I have both SCT canned tunes and custom tunes from Torrie......which one are you running?

I noticed some pre-detonation knock at high speed under load with Torrie's custom 94 tune but nothing with SCT canned 94 tune.

So with the SCT you don't 'order up' a tune from Torrie based on mods your car has? It logs its own parameters and selects a stored tune? I am very tech limited and get intimidated by just about anything electrical,:( probably why my SCT is still in the box and I'm running an LMS tune that is sooty rich and hesitates when the weather is over 85degrees out. I've been very pleased with it in our California 'winter' Pulls awesome when its 50 degrees out:thumbsup:

As mentioned, you have the option of running the SCT preloaded tunes (octane based) or getting custom tunes from a dealer (like Torrie). For someone like yourself, I would start with the preloaded tunes just to see how you like them. This will suit most people just fine. For those who want even more power, or just something different, a custom tune is for you.

BoostKing

I noticed that SCT is constantly updating the X4, sometimes with literally 100's of files. When they do that are they changing things in the SCT Preloaded Tunes or are they updating the SCT X4 device?

Or both?

If they are updating the Preloaded Tunes do you know what's changing constantly?

99% of the time, the updates are for new Strategy's and new vehicle support. So for instance, when the 2015 Xsports came out, they had a new set of strategies (stock calibrations). We have to acquire that data, map it out, and add it to our tune revision, so that the new vehicle is supported.

Other updates are for firmware to fix bugs, or add new vehicles. For example, the 2015 F150's and Mustangs are new controllers, so we had to release updates to the firmware, and tune revision, to support these.

Ford runs updates all the time to the strategies, so we are constantly catching up.

To answer a question you will have, we rarely update the tunes themselves. After we get a vehicle to test on, and build one of our preloaded strategy tunes for that vehicle, thats it. We do a lot of testing on our tunes to make sure they are safe and meet certain criteria. Once they are done, we dont usually have any reason to change them. So when you get an update on your device, its almost never to change the preloaded tune you already have, its almost always updates for new vehicles, bug fixes, etc..

I have both SCT canned tunes and custom tunes from Torrie......which one are you running?

I noticed some pre-detonation knock at high speed under load with Torrie's custom 94 tune but nothing with SCT canned 94 tune.

I'm running the canned tunes and I guess it will do for me!!! I feel I have enough power now and my fuel economy is up too!! I'm now getting around 10.9l/100km wich I find VEERRYYY reasonable.... Probably jsut going to order up a intake to hear the turbos and that's it ( anyway a intake is only about sound anyway!! ;) )

I'm running the canned tunes and I guess it will do for me!!! I feel I have enough power now and my fuel economy is up too!! I'm now getting around 10.9l/100km wich I find VEERRYYY reasonable.... Probably jsut going to order up a intake to hear the turbos and that's it ( anyway a intake is only about sound anyway!! ;) )

Yes I agree I like the SCT tunes as well.

I have gone back to the SCT tune for now.

Back