sct tuning help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sct tuning help please

Fordexplorer140k

Reaction score
So i joined the tuning club today with my explorer. I noticed a small difference but not very much is this normal?

1.My mods include a custom intake, its a pip thats 3 inch wide and i cut a hole in the top for my MAF sensor. So i used stock sensor with a bigger housing

2. I ported out my stock TB

is this all i can expect with only two mods? I plan on doing an exhaust next thats for christmas, fan for bday and pulleys ill buy later most likely.

I also had questions like for a 2000 explorer v6 is it better to do a 87 tune or a 93 tune

What are all tho other options it has like spark 2000 and tire rev and all that someone please help cuz im so lost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 93 tune on my 01 4.0, all i have is cold air intake and a cat back. Tire revs is if you have different gears in the front/rear so that the speedomiter is corrected.

Its not so much more power that you will feel but better throttle response esecially only haveing 2 mods done.

Ive got an sct tune on my mustang as well and when i did the programer i only pulled 17hp out of the car with a 4.6L but when i had it prof. done they got another 36hp

I have a 93 tune on my 01 4.0, all i have is cold air intake and a cat back. Tire revs is if you have different gears in the front/rear so that the speedomiter is corrected.

Its not so much more power that you will feel but better throttle response esecially only haveing 2 mods done.

Ive got an sct tune on my mustang as well and when i did the programer i only pulled 17hp out of the car with a 4.6L but when i had it prof. done they got another 36hp

what about all the other things they list. I have no idea what all that means, if anyone will an exhaust system help me out that much or should i direct my attention else where before fooling with an exhaust

Did you tell them what you did with the Maf sensor? Is it sealed well? It really should be in it's original housing and not just in the intake tube, that will throw your readings off. Where did you get the tuner from? The higher octane the tune the more power it will make. The thing I liked most about mine was the improved transmission shifts, that alone was worth it to me.

ok now for the options. It's been a while since I've played with mine so I don't remember all of them.

Spark: adjusts engine timing (I would leave this alone unless you know what your doing)
Tire revs: used to correct the speedometer if you use a different sized tire.
Rev limit neutral: Sets the rev limiter in neutral
Rev limit Drive: sets the rev limit in drive
Shift pressure: Increases or decrease the speed and firmness of the shifts.
Shift point? dont remember what it's named. Moves the shift points to the mph you desire. ( I would leave that one alone as well.)

Those are the ones I can think of, if you have more questions about more options post up and I'll try to help.

What if my tires aren't the stock ones meaning I bought a different brand of tires than the ones most have i guess its hard to explain.

Rev limit neutral: What are the benefits of this
Rev limit Drive: What are the benefits of this
Shift pressure: again same as the others what i benefits of them.

What about the spark mods and all that what are benefits for that
Last thing what can you tell me about bamachips for 50 dollars is it worth it?

What if my tires aren't the stock ones meaning I bought a different brand of tires than the ones most have i guess its hard to explain.

Rev limit neutral: What are the benefits of this
Rev limit Drive: What are the benefits of this
Shift pressure: again same as the others what i benefits of them.

What about the spark mods and all that what are benefits for that
Last thing what can you tell me about bamachips for 50 dollars is it worth it?

Who did you buy your tuner from?

Tires, as long as they're the same size you don't need to change it, brands don't really matter.

Rev limit neutral: doesn't really do much for you, other than you can lower it and keep the motor from revving really high if you hit the gas while it's in neutral, it will rev to what ever rpm you set and then it will start cutting off fuel so it won't rev any higher.

Rev limit drive: Again it keeps the motor from revving really high, this time while in drive. Could be useful if someone else is driving your car and you don't want them hot rodding around in it. You could also lower the speed limiter to keep them, or yourself from going to fast.

Spark: Lets you add or take away timing from the motor, which could give you more, or reduce the engines power. But don't mess with it if you don't understand it, you could give it to much and hurt the motor.

Some people on here use bamachips, but a lot of us use www.hensonperformance.com to get our tunes. But until you tell us where you got your tuner it's hard for me to give you advice on that.

Who did you buy your tuner from?

Tires, as long as they're the same size you don't need to change it, brands don't really matter.

Rev limit neutral: doesn't really do much for you, other than you can lower it and keep the motor from revving really high if you hit the gas while it's in neutral, it will rev to what ever rpm you set and then it will start cutting off fuel so it won't rev any higher.

Rev limit drive: Again it keeps the motor from revving really high, this time while in drive. Could be useful if someone else is driving your car and you don't want them hot rodding around in it. You could also lower the speed limiter to keep them, or yourself from going to fast.

Spark: Lets you add or take away timing from the motor, which could give you more, or reduce the engines power. But don't mess with it if you don't understand it, you could give it to much and hurt the motor.

Some people on here use bamachips, but a lot of us use www.hensonperformance.com to get our tunes. But until you tell us where you got your tuner it's hard for me to give you advice on that.

I just bought off the internet for 380.000 to my door and opened it plugged in and tuned.

hensonperformance.com is the way to go. SCT-X3 and 3 tunes for 389 bucks. Just call him up and he will let u know what u need (number is on site at top right corner)

I just bought off the internet for 380.000 to my door and opened it plugged in and tuned.

The internet? Seriously? What site specifically did you buy it from? The internet doesn't answer my question, and keeps me from helping you.

hensonperformance.com is the way to go. SCT-X3 and 3 tunes for 389 bucks. Just call him up and he will let u know what u need (number is on site at top right corner)

problem is that i already bought it, i should have done my homework. I got free shipping and no return policy F im pissed now.

problem is that i already bought it, i should have done my homework. I got free shipping and no return policy F im pissed now.

Henson can still write tunes for you. I bought my XC2 from Bamachips but Henson has been doing tunes for me for the last year or so. No need to return the flasher. You'll just pay for the extra tunes James writes for you and he can deliver them via email.

yup. his tunes are 50 bucks a piece or 140 for a 3 pack. As long as you have a wire to plug into your computer from ur programmer he can still hook u up.

Alright my bad its from LM performance in FL. I hope this helps and doesnt waste your time

Yes that does help a lot. Looking at the site you just got the prepackaged tunes with your tuner. Nothing custom tweaked like you would have gotten from henson. The original tunes are ok, but not nearly as good as a custom tune would have been, as it can take advantage of your mods. And Henson has written a lot of tunes for these things so he knows exactly what to tweak to get the most out of it, while still keeping things safe.

If you want some better tunes I would have him write you some.

Henson can still write tunes for you. I bought my XC2 from Bamachips but Henson has been doing tunes for me for the last year or so. No need to return the flasher. You'll just pay for the extra tunes James writes for you and he can deliver them via email.

So i am going to assume i need to contact hensonproformance for this custom tune. If i am planning on doing a custom tune from henson should i wait to get my exhaust, fan, pulleys and then get the custom tune done?

You don't have to wait, but you will have to get another tune to incorporate the new modifications in when you get them. but depending on how long it will be until you get the other stuff you could get one tune for now.

You don't have to wait, but you will have to get another tune to incorporate the new modifications in when you get them. but depending on how long it will be until you get the other stuff you could get one tune for now.

okay thanks for your time and advice, Ill wait till i get the exhaust at least cuz thats sooner than later like the fan and etc. Personally i think the tunes the flash came with suck i notice hardly any differences in anything!

Back