Seat belt buckle wire disconnect and 51 air bag code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat belt buckle wire disconnect and 51 air bag code

soccerman600

Reaction score
City, State
KC, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT. My seat belt buckle monitor would not turn off. I read the forums on how to shut it off, but the sensor inside the buckle would not register the buckle and unbuckles. So....I also read that you could disconnect the wire leading out of the belt under the seat. I did this and the monitor finally stopped beeping. But....now the air bag light is on and giving a 51 code. How can I fix this new problem? Is this wire being disconnected a real problem or can I have the light turned off and still drive with confidence that the air bag will work properly? Thanks for helping.

Welcome to the forum!! :salute:

I'm not sure, but I believe that if the airbag light is on then the system will not operate as expected in the event of a crash. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT. My seat belt buckle monitor would not turn off. I read the forums on how to shut it off, but the sensor inside the buckle would not register the buckle and unbuckles. So....I also read that you could disconnect the wire leading out of the belt under the seat. I did this and the monitor finally stopped beeping. But....now the air bag light is on and giving a 51 code. How can I fix this new problem? Is this wire being disconnected a real problem or can I have the light turned off and still drive with confidence that the air bag will work properly? Thanks for helping.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same problem right now and can't seem to find a fix.

problems?

i have an 03 explorer and I was having the same code, but it was because of the buckle sensor being unplugged. the only way to make that go away is to replace the buckle, or plug it back in and find a way to deactivate the monitor.
if you have an elmscan 327 (i think) then download FORscan software to scan all the sensors in the car.

Back