Seat Heat | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat Heat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know this morning, it was so cold I just quickly restarted the seat warmers when I got in because I wanted it hot asap. But I will test tonight when going home. But so far if never heats the seat portion up when using remote start. Only the back part warms up.

Seems strange........More checking to do on my part as well.

Thanks

It seems strange...one side working and not the other. I get that is why they have PID's, but I would not settle for that....I'd be interested to see the outcome, please keep us posted.

Good Luck

It seems strange...one side working and not the other. I get that is why they have PID's, but I would not settle for that....I'd be interested to see the outcome, please keep us posted.

Good Luck

Yeah definitely strange. Not like it's non-functional at all times. Just when I remote start it gives me this strange behavior.

You know this morning, it was so cold I just quickly restarted the seat warmers when I got in because I wanted it hot asap. But I will test tonight when going home. But so far if never heats the seat portion up when using remote start. Only the back part warms up.
I'm guessing that you initially used remote start to start the vehicle. Do you have the push button start? On mine, after using the remote start, all I have to do to get the 3 bar heating indication is to just press the push to start button. Nothing else. Even with a keyed ignition all you have to do is turn the ignition ON. Should be no need to "restart the seat warmers".

Peter

I'm guessing that you initially used remote start to start the vehicle. Do you have the push button start? On mine, after using the remote start, all I have to do to get the 3 bar heating indication is to just press the push to start button. Nothing else. Even with a keyed ignition all you have to do is turn the ignition ON. Should be no need to "restart the seat warmers".

Peter

Yes, that is correct. That all happens in mine as well. Exactly like yours. Except the seat portion doesn't heat up when that all takes place. Only the back portion heats up.

Buttttt, when I realize my seat portion isnt heating up, all I have to do is turn it off and than turn it back on. And Bam, full heat all throughout the seat. I can even hear the fan noise is louder.

So to me, it's as if despite the 3 lights, all of the heating fans/portions of the seat heaters aren't turning on . As evidenced by the lack of heat on my bottom in addition to the noticeably quieter fan noise. That's where the issue is. The seat heaters work. It's just not firing up properly when the car is remote started.

So did my usual drive home, remote started the car, and only the back part of the seats heated up slightly with no heating of the main portion of the seat. went ahead and turn it off manually and turn it back on and within a few minutes the whole seat, bottom and back all got hot. So I have no idea what the issue is. It's like something's not getting triggered to turn on all the heating elements / fans.

So did my usual drive home, remote started the car, and only the back part of the seats heated up slightly with no heating of the main portion of the seat. went ahead and turn it off manually and turn it back on and within a few minutes the whole seat, bottom and back all got hot. So I have no idea what the issue is. It's like something's not getting triggered to turn on all the heating elements / fans.
I wonder if there is a problem then. Mine will heat up the seat without having to shut OFFand ON to the point where I have to turn it down after about 5 minutes of driving. I guess as long as the buns get toasty it doesn't matter.:)

Peter

I wonder if there is a problem then. Mine will heat up the seat without having to shut OFFand ON to the point where I have to turn it down after about 5 minutes of driving. I guess as long as the buns get toasty it doesn't matter.:)

Peter

So I tested it this morning with the passenger seat. Come to find out, the same exact behavior occurs. The seat doesn't heat up all the way and I how I really knew it was happening was that the fan noise was very low. Manually turned it off and than back on and than the fan noise was much much louder. How it normally is when the seat heater is on high. So it's not one particular seat that is messed up. It seems more like a programming issue.

If anyone with this setup, could you remote start your car and test the fan noise? So start it up and assuming youre in a cold enough area where the seat warmers come on automatically. Turn off all climate control and music and just listen to the fan noise. Then, manually turn the seat heaters all the way off and than right back on. Does the fan noise noticeably get louder than before? Both instances the 3 lights should be lit up but just compare the fan noise. Curious to see if this happens to anyone else. I'd appreciate it before I decide to take it into Ford.

I tried it and could not hear any fan noise before or after turning OFF and ON the seat heating control. This isn't the first time I've tried listening to the fans on the basis of a post. I even had my head right down by the front of the seat.

Peter

I tried it and could not hear any fan noise before or after turning OFF and ON the seat heating control. This isn't the first time I've tried listening to the fans on the basis of a post. I even had my head right down by the front of the seat.

Peter

Wait so you hear absolutely no fan noise when your seat heaters are on? Can someone else confirm that experience as well? I definitely have a noticeable fan noise when mine are turned on. Not terribly loud but it's there.

Wait so you hear absolutely no fan noise when your seat heaters are on? Can someone else confirm that experience as well? I definitely have a noticeable fan noise when mine are turned on. Not terribly loud but it's there.
I can confirm that others have heard theirs if that's what you are concerned about.

Peter

UPDATE: Just got a call from Ford and as for the heated seat not coming on with remote start, it is a KNOWN issue from ford and their engineers are actually still working/developing a fix. This was all per the ford technician who I just spoke to. The recommended temporary fix is exactly what I have been doing already. Just turn it off, than back on. Honestly, this is just unacceptable. Unless they just became aware of this issue very recently. Which I find hard to believe.

Having said that, it's not the end of the world. But you can be sure every few months I will be following up with ford and even if my warranty runs, I expect them to address the issue when a fix is known.

UPDATE: Just got a call from Ford and as for the heated seat not coming on with remote start, it is a KNOWN issue from ford and their engineers are actually still working/developing a fix. This was all per the ford technician who I just spoke to. The recommended temporary fix is exactly what I have been doing already. Just turn it off, than back on. Honestly, this is just unacceptable. Unless they just became aware of this issue very recently. Which I find hard to believe.

Having said that, it's not the end of the world. But you can be sure every few months I will be following up with ford and even if my warranty runs, I expect them to address the issue when a fix is known.

I checked with my dealer Friday and he advised there was a TSB issued In January 2019 advising just what you said. It stated just to tell the customer to cycle the seat heat off and back on and not to do any other repairs, as Ford Engineers were working on the issue.

I checked with my dealer Friday and he advised there was a TSB issued In January 2019 advising just what you said. It stated just to tell the customer to cycle the seat heat off and back on and not to do any other repairs, as Ford Engineers were working on the issue.

Wow, great to hear. That's just about word for word what the guy told me today.

Do you know the number of the TSB?

Do you know the number of the TSB?

I have attached 2 TSB's on seat heat issues.

1) SSM 47738 - 2016-2019 Explorer - Heated Seat Lower Cushion Inoperative After Remote Start

Some 2016-2019 Explorer vehicles may exhibit a heated lower front seat cushion that does not operate properly after turning the ignition on after a remote start event. To temporarily resolve the concern, the heated seat control switch may be cycled off and then back on. Do not attempt any repairs at this time. Engineering is investigating. To assist with the investigation, use the Report a Vehicle Concern link at the bottom of the OASIS report and fill out the form. Monitor OASIS for updates.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2016 - 2019 TRUCK: UB U502N EXPLORER

2)SSM 47814 - 2016-2019 Various Vehicles – Front Climate Controlled Seat Inoperative, BuzzingNoise, And/Or Feels Too Warm - Multiple Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

Some 2016-2019 Explorer, 2016-2018 MKX, 2019 Edge/Nautilus, 2017-2019 Fusion/MKZ, and 2018-2019 F-150/Mustang/Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with climate controlled seats may exhibit a buzzing noise from the front seats, front seats too warm, and/or inoperative climate controlled front seats. DTCs B14BA:13, B1154:4B, and/or B14B9:13 may also be present. This may be due to loose terminal pin fit on the driver seat module (DSM) connector C341D (16 pin). If a loose terminal pin fit condition is found during normal diagnostics per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10, a new service pigtail connector (part number 3U2Z-14S411-BRAB) is available. Refer to Wiring Diagram, Cell 119 to make sure C341D is a 16 pin connector and not a 20 pin connector. Refer to Wiring Diagram, Cell 5 for therecommended splicing procedures.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2016 - 2019 TRUCK: UB U502N EXPLORER
2016 - 2019 CAR: D9 U540N MKX
2017 - 2019 CAR: C7 CD391N FUSION
2017 - 2019 CAR: C9 CD533N MKZ
2018 - 2019 TRUCK: B8 U553N EXPEDITION
2018 - 2019 TRUCK: FC P552N F-150
2018 - 2019 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG
2018 - 2019 TRUCK: B9 U554N NAVIGATOR
2019 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE

I am still not happy with the seat heat, my dealer checked 2 vehicles and he said they are the same.

So it's been almost 4 months minimum now that Ford has been aware of this seat heating issue and still no fix. How long are we supposed to go with this broken function as customers? This seems a bit unacceptable that Ford can't manage to fix a software issue like this. Is there anything that we can do to push this issue further? I know it probably seems like a minor issue to some people but when it's supposed to work a certain way and it's not, that's a problem. Especially with what these vehicles cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it's been almost 4 months minimum now that Ford has been aware of this seat heating issue and still no fix. How long are we supposed to go with this broken function as customers? This seems a bit unacceptable that Ford can't manage to fix a software issue like this. Is there anything that we can do to push this issue further? I know it probably seems like a minor issue to some people but when it's supposed to work a certain way and it's not, that's a problem. Especially with what these vehicles cost.

Agreed, seems like Ford does not have this a a concern. I expected more from a $55 K vehicle. I checked a 2019 and it was the same

Back