Seat memory issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat memory issues

outdoortrack

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
We noticed an issue with my wife's 2016 explorer sport today. We have set the steering wheel, pedals, mirrors, and seat to her preference and they worked perfectly the first 3 or 4 days. She uses memory 1. I set my settings to memory 3. We noticed today that when she exits the vehicle the seat and steering wheel go to the easy exit position like it is supposed to. When she gets back in the wheel moves back to her memory position, but the seat only moves forward some. At this point she has to press memory 1 to get the seat to move the rest of the way forward to her set position.

It seems to work properly for me with memory 3. Wheel and seat move all the way to my memorized position after entry.

We have had the vehicle for about a week now. Anyone have an answer for this?

I have tried linking her key fob as well. No change, however, if she hits the unlock button on the remote once she has turned the vehicle on or started it, it will move the seat the rest of the way forward just as if she pushed her memory 1 button as I described above. We have looked through the manual about page 146 I believe and I couldn't see anything we are doing wrong. Especially since it was working perfectly, but now is not. Yes, it is a very minor issue, but being a brand new vehicle we feel the features should all work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to program her key fob to memory 1. It is a 2 step process.. you can program the seats to memory 1-3 so you have to press it each time you get in to set it to the programmed position. You then can also program the memory seat to each key fob so as soon as it recognizes the fob, it will move everything to the saved position upon startup without having to press the number.

The owner's manual tells you how to do this.

I did mention in my first post that I did link her key fob to her memory 1. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough? I apologize if I didn't. Easy to do when typing.

I believe (from memory) the steps are: With vehicle running or ignition on, move everything where you want it, then hold the desired memory button for 5 sec until beep, then keep holding memory button for another 2 sec until a second beep, then within 3 seconds hit the lock button on the key fob. Recalled from memory after doing it quite a few times the other night.

To clarify, even after linking her key fob to memory 1, when she exits the vehicle the wheel moves up and seat moves back (easy entry/exit). When she enters the vehicle, closes the door, presses engine start, the wheel moves back to her memory position, the seat moves forward some, but not all the way to her position. She can then push the memory 1 button (or press the unlock button on key fob) and the seat will then move all the way up to her correct position.

When we first got the vehicle (about a week ago) the wheel and seat would move all the way back to her position when she got in and pushed the engine on button.

If I'm forgetting something I apologize as I'm not at home doing it at this exact moment. It does the exact same thing in the memory 2 setting.

When I last checked (couple days ago) my memory 3 settings worked perfect. Wheel and seat moved all the way back to where they were supposed to be. It's weird.

Don't feel alone. I spite of having read, and followed, the process in the owner's manual, I'll be darned if I can get the seat recall to consistently remember two positions. It's my wife's vehicle so it's no big deal but it still irritates me that either it doesn't work consistently or I can't follow instructions. Since I love reading owners manuals it must be the former. ;)

2015 Sport although I doubt the hardware is different.

By any chance when the both of you are inside the vehicle; do you have both set of keys inside of the vehicle also?

By any chance when the both of you are inside the vehicle; do you have both set of keys inside of the vehicle also?

I only had her key when checking to see why it was not working correctly. Mine was upstairs in the house. And of course when she is out and about she does not have mine with her.

I only had her key when checking to see why it was not working correctly. Mine was upstairs in the house. And of course when she is out and about she does not have mine with her.

Thanks for confirming.
This is going to be my first domestic, first Ford and the list of issues are adding up (corrosion on the hood, foul odor during hard acceleration, noise from the front cowl, dash alignment issues with the doors, memory seating not communicating properly with the keyfob, brake seizing issues...what else?)

I don't expect perfection by any means, but for a 50K vehicle...ouch :thumbdwn:

Well, I have to say we've had our share of issues with bmw, Inifiniti, and Volkswagen as well. We've probably owned just as many foreign as domestic. They certainly have all had their share of issues. Especially if you get on a forum where you see all the complaints from around the world.

I have to say (knock on wood) that I've had zero issues out of my 2015 Mustang. Loving it. Loving the explorer sport as well for that matter. Something small that I'm sure we'll get worked out hopefully. The more tech stuff cars have the more problems they have is what I've witnessed over the years. Doesn't matter the brand. I am only referring to my experience. Don't mean to step on anyone's toes...

It's good that this info is posted by people though. I think it helps keep the domestic manufacturers from getting lazy and falling way behind the competition as in years past.

I started experiencing the same issue with my 2016 Limited - seat only moves slightly back to the original "synced" position. I've had the vehicle a month and it worked well until about a week ago, now I can't get it to work again. The cowling noise was an issue as well and in talking to the dealer they're aware of this issue it and will replace it.

I started experiencing the same issue with my 2016 Limited - seat only moves slightly back to the original "synced" position. I've had the vehicle a month and it worked well until about a week ago, now I can't get it to work again. The cowling noise was an issue as well and in talking to the dealer they're aware of this issue it and will replace it.

Disconnect the battery for a minute (negative side) and reconnect it. This will reset the modules in the vehicle.

Disconnect the battery for a minute (negative side) and reconnect it. This will reset the modules in the vehicle.

Any reason why this would happen? I'll try that this evening. Will it erase all other personalized settings?

We haven't heard a 'cowling' noise that I'm aware of. Stupid question I'm sure, but do you mean up by the hood as that is the only cowl I've dealt with on my wrangler?

We haven't heard a 'cowling' noise that I'm aware of. Stupid question I'm sure, but do you mean up by the hood as that is the only cowl I've dealt with on my wrangler?

613GT500 mentioned noise from the cowling. I experienced this on mine where there was a significant "buzzing" noise coming from the windshield at barely highway speed and worsened as the outside temperature rose. The dealer mentioned they were aware of the problem and to bring it in to have a new cowl installed.

Could it just be that the modules are defect? Since the Easy Entry/Exit disable doesn't work either (at least what I have heard of in the '16)?

I got my seat module replaced because of the Easy Entry/Exit fault and now everything works fine (but I never experienced the seat not going all the way back to my position before).

Could it just be that the modules are defect? Since the Easy Entry/Exit disable doesn't work either (at least what I have heard of in the '16)?

I got my seat module replaced because of the Easy Entry/Exit fault and now everything works fine (but I never experienced the seat not going all the way back to my position before).

He said it worked previously. Wouldn't be the first time a vehicle module needed a power reset to work right. Waiting to hear if it worked or not??

Otherwise it is a dealer visit.

It worked. I was expecting to lose all pre-set radio channels, etc. (no big deal) however after Sync went through a small reboot, everything was back to where it was and the seat memory was working again. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

Did the negative side battery disconnect this weekend. Left it off for about 5 minutes. After entering the vehicle the seat moves forward some, but not back to the memorized position. Still have to push the memory button to get the seat to move the rest of the way.

Of note: Our entry/exit setting does save. For now we have it unchecked to keep from having to press the memory button every time we get back in the vehicle since the seat does not move back all the way to where it is supposed to be.

I'll try to remember to try it again tonight. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't resave a memory position after undoing the battery. I just tried the ones we already had set.

I have 2016 Limited. I programmed the remote and button #1 on door as per manual. Today, again, I got in car and the seat kept moving all the way forward. Had I not hit the button to go back, it would have shoved me into the steering wheel. Am I the only one where the seat memory keeps getting lost ? Also, the massaging feature is great, but if I get out of car without shutting it off, it leaves the massage elements in place which is not what I set for driver 1.

Anyone else get this unexpected behavior with seat memory ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you possibly using 2 different key FOB's? memory is according to key FOB. If not then never mind.

Back