Second 2nd row seat won't fold forward | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Second 2nd row seat won't fold forward

oaxaca_one

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
New to the forum, hello everyone.

I own a 2008 XLT Explorer with 3rd row seating. Yesterday as we were trying to load the kiddos into the 3rd row seats, the lever that folds the 2nd row seat down (behind the driver) became inoperative. The seat is upright and can be used, but it can't be folded down to allow access to the 3rd row seats, nor can it be folded flat for hauling.

It seems like the plastic lever has become disconnected with whatever "unhooks" the seats to fold forward.

Seems like the kind of thing that could be an easy fix, but if I take it to a mechanic I don't want to be hoodwinked into buying a whole new seat.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can't figure it out, take it to a shop. They will give you a quote to fix, and you can either say yes, or no.

Who knows, it may be a simple cable that came disconnected, and they won't even charge you. Tip them some lunch money and call it a day!

Don't take it to a dealer, though. They will probably charge just to think about looking at it.

Thanks for you replies. I don't think the handle is broken, but when you pull it nothing happens. Almost like something is just disconnected. Perhaps if I take the seat out, I'll find that something is in fact broken in the innards of the mechanism.

take the bolt from the handle off

pull it off the seat, it should be cracked /split. these were very common on breaking.

Take a look at how the handle behind the passenger side works, and see what's different or disconnected or loose on the one that's not working... Just a thought.

2008 mercury mountaineer. 2nd row seat handles jacked

I bought an 08 mounty in October. The handle 2nd row seat on the driverside was busted when I got it. Well as of yesterday my passenger side one went. And the 2nd row is up. But I have 4 kids so having access to all my seats would be ideal.

You should still have the red pull handle, right? My passenger side second row lever is worn so it won't work but pulling on that red cloth handle does the same thing, just a little harder to get to.

You should still have the red pull handle, right? My passenger side second row lever is worn so it won't work but pulling on that red cloth handle does the same thing, just a little harder to get to.

yup!!! Pull the red one it will release. But if you keep pulling the red the seat flips up

Back