Seeking some OEM Running Boards (Side Skirts?) for a First Gen, 4dr EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seeking some OEM Running Boards (Side Skirts?) for a First Gen, 4dr EB

Lee Iaccoca

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC metro-area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer EB
I am trying to find a new or used set of Factory OEM Tan Running Boards for a First Gen. (91-94) EB Explorer, 4dr. Currently trying different national used parts online-type searches. You guys know of a used parts place that specializes in Ford Trucks/Explorers? Or do you perhaps have any tan running Boards from a 1st Gen 4dr Eddie Bauer you are looking to get rid of? $+Shipping :)

See photo of an old EB with said Running Boards at this link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212936

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats not old ... thats gentlly broke in ......:D

thats not old ... thats gentlly broke in ......:D

Ha, gently my ass. That's the good side.

btw that's my explorer :D

I would give you the running boards on it, but then I could see all the rust they are covering up. :(

lol :) i know it was yours....btw they are all not old just goodn-broke in

That 92 you have is nice. The rust is killing me and that's exactly why I am hunting around for running boards.

And I said the First Gens were "old," but that's more a complement than a swipe at 'em.

First Gens are the only Explorers that I'd actually call a truck. You've got the 9" (Correction 8.8) Rear End, but you also have part time 4x4/ no AWD so you can run a 4" lift and larger tires if you want. Mine has Warn manual hubs in the front, which I doubt you can install in '95 and later models

The First Gen. OHV 4.0 engine was made in Germany and seems like its going to last forever. Mine has 230k and a few mods for a little more power -- KKM intake, older Edelbrock RPM series muffler, Jet chip.

The mods and the manual hubs probably help with cruising mileage. I just did a round trip to the OuterBanks in North Carolina and averaged 26mpg going down and 24mpg coming back up with cruise at 65mph the whole way. That's about what one of those Toyota Highlander Hybrids/Lexus 400h averages (seen those listed as averaging 26.7 mpg). So Even with $5-10 a gallon gas prices, I still plan on keeping my old Ex around for specific usage - hauling, fishing, off-road.

Hello Lee, the running boards you want can come from any Explore up to about 1998. In 98 there was a new version available that merged with fender flares. I have my old green 93 parts, but shipping the long metal supports is tough. Be prepared to buy new retaining nuts, and the plastic running board studs tend to break off when those nuts are removed. Regards,

Ahhh you are very right. First gens are the best :D

It should be noted though, that we don't have a 9" rear, we have the 8.8" rear, which is the same on all explorers up to 2001.

Oh, and I have a '94 :p:
Enough highjacking. Good luck finding what you need.

It should be noted though, that we don't have a 9" rear, we have the 8.8" rear, which is the same on all explorers up to 2001.

You are correct: 8.8 not 9"

Know you need those boards to cover your rust. But if you are not getting any good offers for your '94, I'd certainly be willing to pay decently to take those boards off of your hands

Back