Selected to meet with Ford (2020 Explorer) Engineers - INPUT NEEDED | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Selected to meet with Ford (2020 Explorer) Engineers - INPUT NEEDED

You left this part out:
"We asked the folks over at Ford Performance why the High Performance Pack costs more than the ST Street Pack, but they couldn’t give us a clear answer."

So they still didn't get a 100% confirmation on the price delta!

That is purely a "we dont know why Ford is charging that price". I didnt forget to leave it out, it just has no bearing on this. That answered very clearly IMO what the difference was and matches the Ford order guide. Ford performance does not come up with the pricing structure of a vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am an impatient person. I sold my 2015 Explorer limited and purchased the 2020 Platinum. I really found the backup camera helpful in the 2015 Limited. Nice and large...... now with the 2020 I only get a small hard to see back up screen with an even smaller overhead next to it. I can switch to the larger backup screen, but by the time the buttons load up to switch I am already backed out. The 10 inch screen and SYNC 3 are a backward step in technology in my opinion. When I got in my 2015 and cranked it up I was already listening to my USB music. In my 2020 I do the same thing and it converts back to am because it doesn't even see the usb yet. I truly believe the vertical screen is a penalty.

I know this is an Aviator forum but as you've discovered, we Explorer users have a share of items we hope you'll be able squeeze in at the end of your meeting. I think many of the issues are common to both vehicles.

1. Make better use of the display screens. The portrait screen does not take advantage of the backup camera. Af the very least allow the owner to select the default screen rather than being forced to choose between three minimal displays, none of them useful. I really appreciate the map display but in retrospect I think I would have really liked the horizontal screen where the backup camera fills the screen.

2. Why can't I select my favorite drive mode without having to make the choice over and over at startup?

3. Ford is running a TV commercial that shows a head up display in an Explorer. What's that about?

4. Now that the displays are fully digital in the Limited, Platinum an Aviator, I would like to see a wider choice of how the information is displayed. Why should the sport selection have all the info?

5. The paddle shifters on the Explorer are really cheap. I sometimes use the manual shift mode and the noise is embarrassing. My 2016 didn't make that noise. In fact my 2016 Platinum didn't make a lot of noises I hear in the 2020.

6. We had a heavy rainstorm yesterday and I thought I was in a tin can, even though it's all glass. Again, the 2016 didn't make the same noise.

7. There are many things I like about the car but they're not enough to offset my 2016. I wish I had waited or shopped around. Ford has always been my choice but this time it was a mistake. Please ask Ford to find a solution to the suspension rattle and the noisy engine.

Thanks for asking

^^ Your post was moved to this thread on the Explorer.

I know this is an Aviator forum but as you've discovered, we Explorer users have a share of items we hope you'll be able squeeze in at the end of your meeting. I think many of the issues are common to both vehicles.

1. Make better use of the display screens. The portrait screen does not take advantage of the backup camera. Af the very least allow the owner to select the default screen rather than being forced to choose between three minimal displays, none of them useful. I really appreciate the map display but in retrospect I think I would have really liked the horizontal screen where the backup camera fills the screen.

2. Why can't I select my favorite drive mode without having to make the choice over and over at startup?

3. Ford is running a TV commercial that shows a head up display in an Explorer. What's that about?

4. Now that the displays are fully digital in the Limited, Platinum an Aviator, I would like to see a wider choice of how the information is displayed. Why should the sport selection have all the info?

5. The paddle shifters on the Explorer are really cheap. I sometimes use the manual shift mode and the noise is embarrassing. My 2016 didn't make that noise. In fact my 2016 Platinum didn't make a lot of noises I hear in the 2020.

6. We had a heavy rainstorm yesterday and I thought I was in a tin can, even though it's all glass. Again, the 2016 didn't make the same noise.

7. There are many things I like about the car but they're not enough to offset my 2016. I wish I had waited or shopped around. Ford has always been my choice but this time it was a mistake. Please ask Ford to find a solution to the suspension rattle and the noisy engine.

Thanks for asking

Do you know which commercial? i havent noticed it. Also, BillHolt recently posted on the suspension issue, said he took it to the dealer and they found it was a loose exhaust heat shield. Not sure if its the same case for us all, but we shall see.

I have been selected to meet in Houston One/one with Ford (for the Explorer only) Engineers. The purpose is to review my experience, issues, future suggestions etc. I am give 1.5 hour one/one time. So this will be a important meeting with no selling only riding in my Explorer and discussing as above.

I would like input from all of the Explorer owners on the above. Meeting is Feb 29th. at 11AM, anything you guys can come up with, I'll write it down and make sure to bring to their attention. :chug:
I have something to say, they say these truck are rated at 400 horse powers it's only have 371 HORSES and why?

I have been selected to meet in Houston One/one with Ford (for the Explorer only) Engineers. The purpose is to review my experience, issues, future suggestions etc. I am give 1.5 hour one/one time. So this will be a important meeting with no selling only riding in my Explorer and discussing as above.

I would like input from all of the Explorer owners on the above. Meeting is Feb 29th. at 11AM, anything you guys can come up with, I'll write it down and make sure to bring to their attention. :chug:
Well you could bring up a non-engineering question. That is, who at Ford decided those things were worth $52k +.
I have owned them since maybe 1992. Every one had substantial trouble, worst was the 2004. Almost every moving part, torque converter at 55,000, and believe it or not the steering knuckle let go lol. But for the money I mostly overlooked and fixed things. They served a purpose.
Late fall 2019 I went in with my 2015 Ltd to look at a 2020 replacement.
Total joke. At those prices vs quality it ain’t happening. Especially a new Ford model year.

Bit more money but I bought a Q7.
See ya Ford.

Hinrichs was fired as Ford pushed to “accelerate its transformation into a higher-growth, higher-margin business”.
Do they actually think they can do that with a 2 or 3 , out of 5 quality rating.

Never ends.

Well you could bring up a non-engineering question. That is, who at Ford decided those things were worth $52k +.
I have owned them since maybe 1992. Every one had substantial trouble, worst was the 2004. Almost every moving part, torque converter at 55,000, and believe it or not the steering knuckle let go lol. But for the money I mostly overlooked and fixed things. They served a purpose.
Late fall 2019 I went in with my 2015 Ltd to look at a 2020 replacement.
Total joke. At those prices vs quality it ain’t happening. Especially a new Ford model year.

See ya Ford.

Hinrichs was fired as Ford pushed to “accelerate its transformation into a higher-growth, higher-margin business”.
Do they actually think they can do that with a 2 or 3 , out of 5 quality rating.

Never ends.

IDK man, I cant say that i'm in that same camp, when you consider that there's ppl out here buying $75K Raptors. Also, if you go price out a MB GLS with the AMG appearance package or a BMW X7, you're nowhere near the price of an ST for one of those. TBH, im kinda getting tired of ppl saying its too expensive, i mean, just dont buy it :dunno:

Maybe see if they can make the gear shifter heated, like the steering wheel.

Maybe see if they can make the gear shifter heated, like the steering wheel.
The 2020 doesn't have a "shifter" but a dial somewhat similar to your TMS.

Peter

See ya Ford..

"bit more money"... as in $10k more?? You should be comparing to an Aviator. Then the choice would be a bit more difficult. Q7 is a great car no doubt but it is substantially smaller and not an option if you value the 3rd row.

Do you know which commercial? i havent noticed it. Also, BillHolt recently posted on the suspension issue, said he took it to the dealer and they found it was a loose exhaust heat shield. Not sure if its the same case for us all, but we shall see.
I haven't seen the commercial for some time but there is a commercial running now for the Escape that clearly shows the head up display. I sent a copy of Holt's email to my dealer. Haven't heard anything yet.

There is no mention of a Heads Up Display in the 2020 Order Guide nor in the Ford site "Build & Price" feature.

Peter

There is no mention of a Heads Up Display in the 2020 Order Guide nor in the Ford site "Build & Price" feature.

Peter
I'd swear it was on the Explorer, but guess it was wishful thinking. Here's a clip of the Escape

head-up.jpg

Javier, how were you selected specifically to speak with Ford engineering?

My questions/concerns:

- Transmission hesitation and clunking. Is there a software update to become available?

- Transmission cooler leaking. This is a known common problem. Have the replacement coolers been updated and proven to be reliably manufactured?

- Wiper blades streaking. Specifically the very center of the driver's side blade. I have had 3 sets of blades on with no improvement. Glass was cleaned to crystal clear. Is this a windshield issue? Or maybe a wiper arm geometry issue?

- 2.3 engine noise. Quite a bit of racket and sounds very unrefined when accelerating. I posted a thread on this months ago which didn't really get too many responses. But I see someone else above me mention it as well.

- Sync over the air updates. Will they become available?
I have had issues with all of the above you mentioned as well. Its about to go back for the wiper issue, so many loud random noises, loose front driver lower seat cushion etc etc... It spent 40 days in service for a faulty climate control module, transmission clunking complaints, head light replacement because it was getting water inside. And seriously I don't think the engine could be any louder, it's ridiculous !!! Oh an it also had the transmission cooler replaced

Welcome to the Forum Jenny.:wave:
Sorry to read about all your issues.:(

Peter

The fuel funnel and tow eye were missing on my ST.
Mine is missing as well along with the air deflector under rear of the SUV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is missing as well along with the air deflector under rear of the SUV
I just had both installed a few days ago. I contacted my salesman and he had the sales manager have the parts department order them. Took all of 20 minutes to have the deflector installed. My dealership has been wonderful in getting things handled for me.

Back