• Register Today It's free!

self install lift kit???

dariley83

Reaction score
City, State
hernando,ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer sport
Does anyone know if it is at all possible to install a 6" skyjaker lift kit in your own garage? Do you need any special tools? Any welding involved ect...? I have a 93 ford explorer sport with the twin I suspension. Any help would be great. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do it...just need a jack, jack stands, a grinder (to grind out rivets), and a hell of a lot of tools. We did mine with air tools, and man, it would've sucked to do it without them, but I know it can be done without.

if your gonna put the lift on yourself, im telling you, take your explorer to like an alignment shop and have them cut out your rivets for you and they will replace them with bolts, it will save you almost a day of work and will cost you likely around 50 bucks. also you dont need air tools i did mine without them and it was just fine.i see your getting the skyjacker lift so you wont be doing SOA. i think you should try and do a sring over conversion instead of new leaf springs, but thats just me, anyways good luck and i hope you take pictures

does i involve any welding cutting or is it just stricly a bolt on process? I understand you gotta drill out the rivets but is that basically it for the cutting process

read the post above the last one you posted

i know that part but is there any cutting of the frame or mods you would need a welder or any specality tools for?

I have the superlift, but I think the process is the same. The kit is basically bolt on, other than the rivets. No cutting or welding of the frame is required. Good luck!;)

after i installed the lift i took mine to an alignment shop and had them weld the spring perches to the axle tubing. it just keeps the perches from moving causing all kinds of problems

Back