2019 XLT Ambient lighting self install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 XLT Ambient lighting self install

Dean0178

Reaction score
City, State
Stuttgart, Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer XLT
I'm trying to find a kit for the 2019s that doesn't plug into the cigarette lighter thing. Seems like these were available (13E700) but not anymore... and even these only go up to 2018??

Any help would be appreciated. New to me vehicle and really just want a permanent cup holder solution so I can see them better at night 😎

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does this plug into a power point? Details are kind of sketchy. https://accessories.ford.com/kit-additional-lamp-electr-parts.html#2019/Explorer
I believe that anything that uses a power point could be modified to be wired as well.

Peter

Thanks!

Yeah, when I searched the CL8Z, I could have sworn that stopped at 2018, but in hindsight, it was most likely just an outdated article. The instructions are a little bit intimidating for a first time wiring and splicing job, but hopefully I can find a youtube video or something!

Order placed... fingers crossed ;)

I'm trying to find a kit for the 2019s that doesn't plug into the cigarette lighter thing. Seems like these were available (13E700) but not anymore... and even these only go up to 2018??

Any help would be appreciated. New to me vehicle and really just want a permanent cup holder solution so I can see them better at night 😎
If all you need is a lit cup holder, that is a very inexpensive thing to DIY and not very difficult, if it's no more than shown in the (terrible, lol) linked picture where it's just a single LED spot point of light on the side of the cup holder.

"Not very difficult" could vary based on how elaborate you want it to be but to achieve the pictured effect, you'd simply run a wire from any interior lighting circuit wire, to an LED and resistor in series, drill a hole in the side of the cupholder and epoxy the LED onto the hidden exterior (interior to the console) wall of the cupholder.

If their kit does not require taking the console apart then I could see the very high price being offset by less labor but otherwise, labor is the far larger part of the expense and tapping into a circuit to power it instead of the lighter outlet is a similar situation whether a kit or rolling your own. I mean it would be different if this were a higher power LED where it needs a heatsinking mount but for that small amount of light, nothing more than the LED itself and the mounting method is needed and a tight hole plus epoxy on the back would do that fine.

I installed my own ambient lighting in my 2012 f150, using seperate mini leds and a push button switch from superbrightleds.com.

These are the ones I went with for front cupholder on console,and 2 on the rear of the console for rear foot lighting...

I used these for the front foorwells. Turned out great for me I also installed one of theyre dimmers for brightness control.

I maybe had 40.00 invested in the whole setup with wiring and switch all included.

Back